“Defo worth a stay”

Peppertree Lodge
Ranked #27 of 31 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

2-5 September
I spent three nights here whilst travelling alone in Paihia, Cape Reinga and Bay of Islands.
I stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm. The rooms are basic but the shower was good, hot water and the heater in the room kept me warm, for a dorm room it was pretty spacious. I shared with 2 guys for the first two nights then had it to myself on the last night!
The guy working on the desk was awesome, forget his name, but he was great at helping me sort out my trips around the area.
Defo book your tours when you get there, plenty to pick from and you get good advice.
The kitchen/recreation area is huge and really well equipped.
5 mins walk to the Pier maximum, great location, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: My room was next to the lounge right next to the tv....perhaps request a room that isn't next to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thankyou for the kind review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay, I trust you will come back again, have a safe time for the rest of your journey

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Okay dont stay at a lot of backpackers but we just lucked out at this one got told by someone we meet in wangara if thats the spelling anyway greeted by nice bloke gave us the rundown on all the things to do in Paihia and maps also then ws taken to great 4 bed dorm with own toilet which was great as we had booked a 8 bed dorm the Aussie bloke told us straight away we have been upgraded he was so nice, we eventually after thinking about his combo idea and the value in that price plus we got some money back & some free wifi for booking it there all was sweet as they seem to say around these parts plus rooms clean, kitchen big and roomy with all the things need to cook even though we only eat breaky there so overall i would say stay here for the price the feel of the place and the location it was just a very very pleasent suprise to get this kind of feeling at a backpackers KEEP IT GOING PEPPERTREE LODGE

Room Tip: If you dont get an upgrade like we did pay the differnce and stay in the 4 bed dormy with own toilet...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hostel, in the quiet periods we upgrade when we can, as this is usually a pleasant surprise for the guests. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for the rating. Hope you come back and stay again with us........ regards bryan

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Arrived there quite early in the morning but Buck was too kind to let me check in. The hostel was nestled in a quiet street which was just few steps from the beach. The kitchen was well equipped. And so was the lounge where I enjoyed the movies with all other backpackers. It would be much better if the room was cleaner. However, it was pleasant to stay there and I would consider to come back in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
ptl-nz, Owner at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review my hostel, keeping the hostel clean is 100% important to us, and we will endeavour to up the standard every day, I am pleased there were more positives in regard to the facilities we offer, and thank you for taking the time to review. regards bryan

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Okay arrived late on the night bus at 9.15pm they stayed open for me which was very nice of them it was a Monday night and the Person at the front desk was exceptional with the knowlegde of Paihia and all the Tours which i booked of him later its was such a pleasent way to start my stay at a backpackers that had free bikes, kayaks ( that was a thrilling time ) they said they had DVD'S for use not 1 or 50 but over 270 and all free i had fun at night's with my pc in my warm comfy bed watching them if i wasnt out having a drink in 1 of the neat places on the street the Peppertree was right on overall one of the best backpackers ever stayed at with clean rooms, clean linen and kitchen from heaven at a backpackers you all know what i mean heaps of room yes room ill stop there again oneday but a thanks to my new Aussie mate there got all the moves when selling me the tours THANKYOU HEAPS PEPPERTREE L.

Room Tip: Hey baby ask for a bed in the Quad Dorm 4 beds only heaps of room and your own toilet and shower jus...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay, regards bryan

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Peppertree Lodge Backpackers had this sort of feeling about it as you walked through the guest eating to get to the office and to be greeted by a very nice, helpful & i must say very knowledgable person about the area & all the tours which he sold me a few of but overall he was making you feel at home and was upgraded from a 8 bed dorm to a 4 bed dorm with my own shower and toilet was a great touch so well done to you all at the Peppertree for a wonderful stay was there twice for a few days each time in a 2 week period so i would say to all backpackers stay here as they set a very high standard in clean rooms and lovely open kitchen plan then a huge big TV screen to watch for FREE some of the 200 odd dvd's but hey i could keep going thanks heaps a special thanks to sweet Rosey who help me so much with my tours and to Brian i only meet shortly as he wasnt there but was very helpful with info about the FREE yes FREE again word use of kayaks & bikes will miss this home away from home even though just a shrt time was had but been twice now in a short time bye wave wave wave goodbye

Room Tip: you have to ask for the 4 bed rooms with heaps of space and they have there own toilet and shower it...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ptl-nz, Manager at Peppertree Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

thank you for you kind review, hope you will be back one day regards bryan

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Okay well my first real Gem since i started travelling as i walked along the road beside the lovely beach from my bus drop off point i was having a rest as this man (local) passed me he was very polite to ask me if i had booked anything ( i said No ) He then told me to go to the Peppertree Lodge Backpackers. Plus i had already marked it in my Lonely Planet with 1 other Hostel i said to myself i will go there first well i was greeted by the same man who saw & talked to me on the beach road he then showed me the Hostel & room and it was sold to me in a a flash it was lovely and clean great sized rooms a lovely open kitchen with 2 great BBQ's and the same man who sent me here sold me the Tours as his knowledge of the area was awesome & made my trip to Paihia just a great one so to Paihia itself keep your town so clean & pretty and i will be saying to all heading your way go to the Peppertree Lodge. Thanks again from the start to the finish enjoed my time there i didnt want to leave.

Room Tip: its called a 4 bed room i think but its perfect 2 bunks & space so u have only 4 in the room wit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

thank you for taking time to write a review, also for the kind words, come back again regards bryan

Reviewed April 6, 2013

In my 7 months of travelling this would be the best Backpackers i have come upon yet by a mile as its only been since NZ i have really learnt about Tripadvisor. Well the Peppertree started with a great smiling happy welcome at the front counter by Rosey then was shown to my room and told everyhting about the place so a big thanks. Plus he knows about all the tours also, the place was clean, quiet and the rooms where of a very good size with a great kitchen open plan which was tops!! and just the feeling around the whole place it was a pleasure to leave you these words on Tripadvisor i even booked 2 more days so a big thankyou to you all there at the Peppertree and keep it up and i have no problems what so ever to tell you all about this great place & great service from the time i walked in the door on a Monday morning what a way to start the week. Plus as i have said b4 Rosey can tell you all about the tours and book you on anything with a big discount WOW!!!!!!!!! Big thanks and hopefully i will be back.

Room Tip: Go for the 4 bed quad rooms i think they call them with its own ensuite for ony a few extra $$$'...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

thank you for the great review, maybe we will see you again regards bryan