“Wonderful views, bit outdated”

Cook's Lookout Motel
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in Paihia
nztravels_2009
“Wonderful views, bit outdated”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed in Cooks Lookout in February. The owners were very helpful and friendly. They immediately booked a dolphin watch tour for us and arranged pickup from the hotel, perfect. The views are magnificent. The balcony in our room was really small and we overlooked the pool which was didn't do the view good. The rooms are all right, but don't expect the latest and greatest. I certainly missed the possibility to close the bathroom door. Pool was great to swim in.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank nztravels_2009
cookslookout, Owner/Manager at Cook's Lookout Motel, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
Both of our Ocean-View One Bedroom Apartments have sliding doors on the bathrooms which can be closed by sliding them! These two Apartments are described in ALL our advertising as having a "Superb Ocean View OVER SWIMMING POOL from lounge and balcony". If guests have read the room description when booking, the swimming pool should not come as a surprise to them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Vancouver
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Single female travelling alone recommends this hotel!

I decided to stop in New Zealand prior to going to Australia for a friend's wedding.

After a long day of driving from Auckland, I arrived at Paihia to take pictures and continue on the drive. After walking around, I decided to look for a place to stay but wasn't sure as I didn't research beforehand. Thankfully, the guest centre by the dock was staffed with helpful people.

As I was travelling alone, the representative recommended Cooks Lookout as Norm and his wife would, "take wonderful care" of me.

They phoned the hotel but Norm and Sheila (sp?) were out having dinner with guests who were leaving. They told them where to find the keys for my room and I can just make myself at home.

I decided to order in and when the delivery person came, Norm came with him to make sure everything in the hotel was to my liking. After a brief conversation, Norm invited me down to the office to discuss possible trips after I was done eating.

It was my intention to stay one night and continue on. However, Norm didn't advise driving up to 90 Mile Beach in my little rental and arranged a bus to pick me up the next morning for a tour. He was right! Taking a tour allowed me to check out the sites instead of just driving. I also stayed on for 3 nights and used Paihia as my base camp.

He also arranged the next day a trip around the Bay of Islands by boat to check out the dolphins. The boat charter was late in returning me to the hotel and I ran into Norm by the docks who gladly gave me a life back to the hotel.

On top of that, he arranged a ticket to the evening show at the Waitaingai Treaty Grounds. I highly recommend that as well.

As you can see from the attached pictures the view was gorgeous.

Norm and his wife were absolutely wonderful and took great care to make sure I enjoyed my stay. When I was leaving, he even drew a map of a different route to take and recommended stops on my way back to Auckland. I was able to visit off the beaten path museums that I otherwise would have driven by.

I can't say enough of my experience in New Zealand and especially Paihia, thanks to Norman and Sheila.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
Newcastle
Reviewed February 21, 2009

This motel is about 2 miles out of Pahia overlooking the Bay of Islands with a great view. Owners were very pleasant and helpful.

Christchurch
Reviewed February 9, 2009

My wife and I spent 4 wonderful days at Cooks Lookout Hotel in January. We normally like to eat out when on holiday but the views and facilities were so good (especially the views) that we just used the well stocked supermarket a short drive away to buy fresh easy food every night and got back to our spectacular deck as fast as we could!

The heated pool was an added bonus - so warm and inviting - so good to relax in after a days sailing, or kayaking or bush walking.

Cooks Lookout is a brilliant location - so quiet and relaxing up on it's hill overlooking the estuary and the bay - yet also so handy to all the fun that Paihia and the Bay of islands has to offer. It's the best of both worlds.

• Liked — The view, the peace and quiet, the pool
  • Disliked — no complaints
Avallon
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed at the Cooks lookout motel for a week in January this year (2009) and found it to be everything and more than the owners claimed. Lovely unit with kitchenette and good size shower and toilet, very light with panoramic views of the islands. Nice size pool. We awoke in the early hours of the first night to see the moon reflected across the ocean, magical. We never tired of sitting in the evenings and looking out over the whole bay with a glass of NZ chardonnay. Owners Norm and Sheila could not have done more to make our stay more agreeable, advising us on trips and booking them, giving advice on the local restaurants and just being so kind. We feel we have made two more friends in NZ. I would recommend this motel to anyone who wants to visit the Bay of Islands. Thank you Norman and Sheila.

• Liked — bright, airey unit with a view day and night, parking outside every unit.
  • Disliked — is on a steep hill but you can drive up to units.
Frodsham
Reviewed January 28, 2009

This is a great motel very clean and has the most fantastic views across Paihia in the Bay of Islands. Norm and Shelagh who run the motel were extremely helpful and arranged our boat trip to see the dolphins, we were collected from the property in the morning and taken to the boat and then returned late afternoon. Although the motel is slightly off the beaten track, driving out of the main town of Paihia so you do need transport, it's well worth it for the fantastic views. The apartment was very clean with all amenities and electric blankets for the cooler nights. Would definitely recommend this property.

• Liked — Location for Fantastic Views
  • Disliked — The accommodation has a steep drive but this is no problem in a car
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Palmerston North
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Would just like to say a big thank you for an enjoyable stay. The view from our unit was amazing, just what we expected but didn't believe we would find. We all enjoyed the pool, especially the girls, the trampoline was a bonus. We made full use of the BBQ, the kitchen was well equiped, there was plenty of space for the six of us. Norm & Shelagh couldn't have been more helpful booking the tours we wanted to take

• Liked — the views and friendly service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family