“Great Day Out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Paihia Dive

Paihia Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Paihia Dive in the Bay of Islands is the Far North of New Zealand's premier dive centre and it is our great pleasure to show you all the underwater wonders of this beautiful part of NZ. We offer trips to the spectacular Rainbow Warrior - the jewel of the north aboard our fully equipped dive RIB 'Aka Maru', which takes only 7 minutes from the shore to reach the dive site.Dive The HMNZS Canterbury, New Zealand’s last Frigate to be purpose sunk for diving. Sunk almost 5 years ago, she is covered in jewel anemones and sponges. This wreck is massive and well worth diving!Dive the Bay of Islands with the longest running dive charter operation. Paihia Dive has been taking divers under since 1978, and Craig has been diving in the Bay for 25 years. For a true local experience join Paihia Dive for a day diving. Learn to dive with the best! Paihia Dive is a PADI 5 Star Resort. All our dive courses are taught by experienced instructors, and the classes are nice and small. Start your Open Water Course today!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day Out!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Craig and his team are amazing, especially if you're a new diver like myself! We only had one day in town, and Craig managed to accommodate us for a dive despite the rough weather. For someone who had only done SCUBA once before and was nervous about doing it again, Craig was really patient and a great teacher, and I had lots of fun on the dive!

He's also great at giving guests a mini-tour (if they want it) on the way to the dive, pointing out local scenery and awesome local stories about each spot. Lunch on a deserted beach was a great ending to the trip.

Craig also takes great underwater pictures of everyone diving--and uploads them to Facebook for people to use as they like (for free!) which is a really nice touch.

Don't be afraid to go in the winter! They supply wetsuits and hoods and it's really not that bad :)

Paihia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Thanks for the experience”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I have just gone from being an Advanced student to having completed my Dive Master with the Paihia Dive team and i want to take this chance to say what an amazing experience it has been. Craig and the whole team have been truly brilliant in all they have done. Both the Canterbury and the Rainbow warrior have so much to offer any level diver and you see and learn new things on every dive. Combined with outstanding reef dives, they have opened my eyes to a whole new world. I have dived with seals, rays and so many different types of fish. I have so much more to learn but Craig and the team always have so much time and so much experience that you learn more each day. Thanks to all of you guys and also especially to Ben as he put in a massive amount of time and effort. Its been brilliant and am dreading the day i actually have to leave and can't dive with you again

Visited September 2012
CraigJohnston, Owner at Paihia Dive, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Hi Jacqui C,

Thank you for doing the review. I'm so glad you had a great time doing your training with us, it’s been a pleasure having you with us over the last few months, and I hope you stick around and do some more dives this summer.

There is so much to becoming a Dive Master, and doing the internship the way you have is such a great way to get a good solid base of experience. If you ever need a reference for a dm job, don't hesitate in giving my name out.

Best regards,

Craig J
Basel, Basel-Stadt, Switzerland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A perfect Day”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

You feel that Craig and his team at Paihia Dive love their job. Right from the beginning I felt like part of the team and that's specially for someone who is traveling alone such a nice feeling. Really good equipment, cool boat, awesome diving at the HMNZS Canterbury and dolphins joining us on the way back. First I was not sure if it isn't too cold for diving but I'm extremely happy that I decided to go. If you see the wreck you anyway forget every thing around you and I didn't feel cold at all. Craig also gave me all the taken pictures from him and the other divers on my memory stick for free so I have some cool memories of this perfect Day. Thank you Craig and team I was awesome!!

Hi Adrian K,

Thanks for the review! It was great having you out diving the other day, and I really enjoyed taking you for your dive on the Canterbury wreck. You right, I do love my "job". I have the best office in the world!

Craig
Hamilton, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing experience with an amazing company”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Travelled up from Hamilton especially for two dives with Paihia dive. Was well worth the effort to do the best dives we have ever done.

Operated very professionally and with a very knowledgable team. As not very confident divers we felt at ease doing a reef dive and seeing the Canterbury wreck. Was amazing marine life on both dives.

Thanks to Craig, Lisa, Tania and the team at Paihia Dive for such a wicked trip. Will be back in summer!

CraigJohnston, Owner at Paihia Dive, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Hi A-Ron-NZ,

Thanks for the great review! We are glad that you had a great time out with us, and look forward to you coming back again in the summer. We try really hard to make sure that all divers are comfortable, and I'm happy you enjoyed your dives with us.

Craig
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved my Paihia Dive experience”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I loved Paihia Dive! As a single traveller it was great that as soon as I walked through the door I felt welcome and safe, ready for some seriously good diving. Once I'd been out for one day with the team I was hooked and stayed to complete my Advanced Open Water Diver course here. I would recommend diving both wrecks as they were so different. I assumed I would like the beauty of the Rainbow Warrior best but actually HMS Canterbury blew me away. We were led by the team through the ship and shown such interesting and fun surprises (I won't ruin it)! As we surfaced and could finally speak, the explosion of reactions was absolutely brilliant. Can't fault the experience, would return and do it all again.

Visited January 2012
CraigJohnston, Owner at Paihia Dive, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Hi Laura G!

Awesome to hear from you, and thanks for doing a review. The two wrecks are amazing, and the Canterbury has come one even more since you dived it. You need to come back and see it now!

Hope to see you back soon for some more great dives.

Craig and the team.