“A nice place to stay in Paihia- and has a view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Seabeds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paihia
Seabeds
You added Seabeds to your Saves list
Ranked #5 of 28 Specialty Lodging in Paihia
Fraser, Colorado
“A nice place to stay in Paihia- and has a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Seabeds is the nicest hostel we stayed in. We stayed in three hostels during our trip. I have never stayed in a hostel until vacationing in New Zealand. Since we were traveling in New Zealand for three weeks I stayed in a variety of hotels from moderate to luxury, beach camps and hostels. Seabeds is the nicest hostel and feels more like a moderate hotel but you get a nice kitchen. The only thing missing is a TV and Fridge in your room, towels, and shampoos. Not much to give up to save money in the Bay of Islands.

If you request the second floor you have a nice sea view from the balcony. There are chairs to sit outside on and sip wine. The kitchen was the nicest out of the hostels, it was modern and spacious. We met very nice people and it was the first hostel where most of the guest were older in their 30's probably and older. Our room was spacious and the bathroom was nice with a tiled shower with a pebble border. I liked the shower. Everything at Seabeds is very clean and nice. You don't have your own TV but there is a TV room which looks very nice. My husband likes watching TV sometimes before bed so that was his own complaint about staying in hostels. You also need to bring towels or pay for them something I have never been accustomed too. It happened in two hostels. I personally would prefer to pay more for the room and have nice towels included in the price. Also bring your own shampoo and conditioner.

We slept with two windows open at night and the room was uncomfortably warm. One night I woke up and opened our balcony door because I was too hot to care if we slept with our door open. I don't know if I would ever sleep with my door open in any other country but Seabeds felt very safe. The bed was the nicest out of all the hostels, a little too firm but much nicer than too soft of a bed. One thing to note if the weather is hot, you may want to find a place with air condition. It might have been something we would have paid more for. Fans in the room might be a good idea and it would have helped. In the room you have a clothing rack to hang your nice clothes which was a nice touch. You also have a desk in your room. The room is very spacious and I liked it.

I loved the location of Seabeds, you can even take a short walk to town but we drove mostly. Marie who runs the hostel is incredibly friendly, she chilled our wine for us upon arrival and she will share information about what to do while in the Bay of Islands. She wants you to enjoy your stay and she is extremely helpful. I liked her a lot.

I really enjoyed my stay at Seabeds. We stayed for two nights. I love more luxury but I liked the price of Seabeds and it is great value compared to the other places to stay. I saved money and had a great place to stay. I liked staying at the Seabeds.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Bcogswell

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Paihia can be a tricky place to find value accommodation, but this newly refurbished 'backpackers' was a great place to stay. Marie was full of advice on local and further afield sights and keen to ensure our stay was as comfortable as possible. The relative cheapness of the rooms is because the amenities found in a standard motel are elsewhere - kitchen facilities and tv room are shared, but there is an ensuite in each room and we didn't need anything else. We did forget to ask for towels however and these weren't in our room, so not sure whether they aren't part of the package, or we're just forgotten in our case.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank SarahAR19
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I spent a delightful three days at Seabeds in Paihia. A converted motel (there is still a full motel room option available) with comfortable beds, quiet rooms, an excellent kitchen/dining room, separate TV lounge and laundry facilities, Seabeds offers great value for money in a good location. The Countedown supermarket is about 600 metres away, the beach just down the road and the rest of Paihia is a short distance away.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JNCC
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

The place is very clean and Marie made us feel so homey and you get everything you need in this place. Its great for a longer stay. The place is very well organized and you get seaview too. Nice to have a cup of coffee and brekkie just sitting outside the balcony.
But it will be perfect if they can provide bath towels and better room configuration.
Will definitely come back or recommend this awesome place to friends.

Room Tip: There is no lift. So if you have a heavy luggage, you might want to arrange for ground floor apartme...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Seabeds is a very reasonably priced accommodation for all that you get. It is well located just across from the swimming beach. You can see the ocean from the top floor and hear it from all the rooms. Also, it is very close walk to the grocery store-Countdown. There is a huge, modern shared kitchen and living room. T.V. room with big screen and stocked with movies. Washer and dryer are on site and you can use the drying lines. All rooms have their own bathroom, even the dorms. No bunk beds in the dorm either. It is also very quiet during the night, all I could hear was the ocean. The rooms have thick walls between them.
But, the best part for me has been the hospitality of Marie, the owner. The second I met her, she made me feel right at home. She took me in like family. I have to say, she is now one of my favorite people in NZ. Also, she keeps the place spic and span and has such a pride in Seabeds.
Lonely Planet writers showed while I was here. They told Maire that Seabeds will be in their guidebook next time. (Seabeds is too new to have been in their last edition.) So, this is for now, Paihia's best kept secret.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room if you are staying in a private. They have sea-views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

A great place to stay. The rooms were big and clean. The kitchen was large and the staff very friendly. They helped us book on trips and generally just did more than the job description

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed at Seabeds for three nights, escaping from the Christchurch earthquake. Marie was an amazing host and made me feel so welcome.
The hostel itself is a real find - it is former motel, and is now all new and all fully renovated. My room was large, warm, with a gorgeous hotel-quality bathroom and a very comfy bed. Bedside lamps, coat rack, table and chairs - lots of little things have been thought of for comfort. There were multiple plug outlets too which was useful with my laptop, ipod etc! (I used to travel light, I swear).
You can hear the ocean while lying in bed at night, it was so peaceful and relaxing.
About a 8 - 10 minute walk to the centre of Paihia, located near the Treaty Grounds too and there is a supermarket 5 mins walk away.
I didn't use the TV lounge, but the separate kitchen and dining room/lounge are just gorgeous - brand new designer style kitchen that is well equipped, a gorgeous inlaid native wooden dining table, lots of light, air and space and sea-blue decor. As a good motel this place would be fine, as a hostel it is superb. Spotlessly clean, goes without saying.
If you are sick of the party-crowd and want somewhere quiet, peaceful, well-thought out and well-run, you can't go past this place. I hope I get the opportunity to stay again sometime, thanks so much Marie. :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo