“Best NZ experience!”

The Rock Adventure Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rock Cruises Get on the The Rock NZ boat for the most action-packed Bay of Islands cruise in New Zealand. Come aboard and let the activities begin! an image Activities in the Bay of Islands don't get better than with the Rock Cruises. Our action-packed choice of 3 different adventure-filled Bay of Islands cruises are full of fun activities starting from only $118 per person! That includes fishing, kayaking, snorkelling, hiking, target shooting and star gazing. Of course, you can simply relax, drink in the stunning New Zealand scenery and enjoy the wide variety of wildlife that inhabits this unique region of Northland.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Best NZ experience!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had so much fun on this cruise! It was a truly unique experience and I would love to go back to Paihia for Rock the Boat!

PROS:
- The crew was youthful, energetic and fun! They're easy to talk to, really helpful, and take safety very seriously on board the boat.
- Met such an interesting group of travellers, from Spain, Australia, Chile etc!
- The activities planned were just great, such as the shooting game, it was a good ice breaker.
- Night kayaking for the first time was a bit scary for me, but I knew I was in good hands as the crew tried to make it as comfortable as possible for travellers with varying kayaking skills.
- The snorkelling excursion was lovely! And the crew was always there to ensure our safety.
- I really loved the small island we stopped at (I can't remember the name), and we rested on the beach for the afternoon. It was like having my own private beach!
- Sunset and sunrise views are not to be missed!
- Despite being on a boat, I had a good night's sleep.

CONS:
- Small compaint: The dinner option was steak only. Since I can't eat red meat, I had to settle for 2 pieces of vegetarian sausage, which wasn't very filling. (We weren't able to catch a fish that night!) I would've preferred to know in advance what to expect for the vegetarian menu, so I could pack some food before the cruise.

Overall, I would recommend this trip to everyone! It was definitely the highlight of my North Island stay. It's a good time for family bonding, trip with friends, or even solo travellers! It's affordable and worth every cent.

Visited April 2012

• Czech first
Kaitaia, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A night on the rock”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were looking for something speacial for some freinds so we chose a night on the rock over night cruise, we were not expecting such a awesome time for such a small cost. Our freinds were totaly blown away with the cruise and the sights they saw. They had a ball and the crew looked after us like we have never been looked after, the night time kayaking was a blast very well worth the time to go out for a paddle highly recomend this trip as it is so good

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fun, but a bit hampered by the weather!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Went on the cruise on 29 Dec, had a great time. The staff was very accommodating and helpful. Everyone was very genuine and made the effort to ensure you had a great time. I really enjoyed the night time kayak adventure, but it rained over night, so while the other activities were still doable I feel we would have had a better experience if it wasn't raining. The food was also pretty good and there was plenty of alcohol on board! Would definitely recommend it.

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unforgettable Bay of islands experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My family and I boarded the rock on the 28th of Dec and we had an amazing time. We were a family of 7 representing three different generations: from grandparents to grandchildren aged 10 and 11 and everyone had a great time. There was choice of activities for everyone. The crew was incredible - very attentive, high level of customer service, organised and hard workers. The bunks and bed were very comfortable and the food was yummy too. Highly recommended for a great time in the Bay of Islands.

Visited December 2012
overnightcruiser, Owner at The Rock Adventure Cruise, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi mchip, WOW Thanks so much for your review. What a cool trip to be doing in NZ with all 3 generations. I hope one day Jonny and I can do something similar with our daughter and parents. I will be passing on your kind words to all our crew I am sure that will be chuffed to hear you had such a great time. We hope the rest of your time in NZ with your family is just as good.

Safe Travels,
Sarah
Ashland, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Just Okay”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went out on the boat for New Years Eve and were looking forward to it. The overall experience was fine, but not great.

Dislikes
-there was no food until 9:30 (2 tiny bowls of popcorn for that many people doesn't count), if it said late dinner in the advertising expectations could have been managed better.
-the bunks were incredibly narrow and the top bunk has about 1.5 feet to the ceiling. our expectations for sleeping quarters aren't high after sleeping in a van and backcountry huts and we were disappointed.
-canned fruit for breakfast, seems as though in summer in NZ there could be some fresh fruit
-we were told there would be something "special" for new years when we found out there was a surcharge. there wasn't
-the last 1.5 hours we circled in front of Pahia, with extra time why didn't we get to see some more of the area?

Likes
-night kayaking was short, but fun and the phosphorescents were neat.
-there is a foose ball table on board
-the shooting competition at the beginning is a good introduction
-views are amazing
-crew was nice

If you go, try to bring your snorkeling gear to the island stop. There is great snorkeling in the bay there, we were a little bummed we didn't know that and therefor didn't bring our masks. Also if you have a sweet tooth, bring dessert because they don't provide any.

Visited December 2012
Hi Caymantiga, Thanks for your review of The Rock Overnight Cruise. We are sorry you didn't find us great as this is always what we aspire to be including on New Years Eve. So pleased you enjoyed the kayaking as it's my favourite bit of the cruise too and the table football. This was a last minute replacement after major damage was caused to our pool table. Maybe we should keep it on board afterall! In our brochure you are advised to bring nibbles for the reason that with so many activities happening on the first night dinner will always be late, especially if you have had an early lunch. On our website it clearly explains this under what to bring on your cruise. Sounds to me like you booked through an agent and perhaps all the information given to the agent at the time of booking was not passed on correctly. Had you booked directly with us your email confirmation would have clearly stated this. The surcharge on New Years Eve is due to it being a public holiday not because there was anything special happening on the cruise. Again maybe this wasn't made clear by the agent when booking. Given that we are a boat the sleeping arrangements are set up such that we allow the most space onboard the boat for enjoying the activities rather than in the cabins where most of our guests spend only limited time. Based on the GPS readout of the cruise you did not circle in front of Paihia for 1.5 hours at the end of the cruise. It does take us 1.5 hours to cruise back from the Islands given the boat only cruises at 6 knots. Your point about fresh fruit is good one and we are looking at a way to incorporate this into the cruise for the future.
If you would like to send me an email with your name I can get in contact with the agent you booked through so I can do some training with them to avoid this happening again. Based on the information you have given I thought I knew which guests you were but those people were in a double bed not a bunk bed so perhaps I have it wrong. My email address is sarah@rocktheboat.co.nz

Safe Travels,