“Sensational day out”

Captain Bucko Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi I hope that what you see here (good or bad) will give the information you need to hopefully make you want to come fishing with me in the bay of islands We always do our best to have you walk away from your fishing experience happy and with a nice bag in hand to put on the bbqWe look after the young and old teaching as you go. Please call me to have a talk about your trip.
Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Sensational day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am a keen fisherman who spends several months a year fishing. I did not know who to use in Paihia so I checked out TripAdvisor and found Captain Bucko and very pleased that I did. The deciding factor was the last review which was not positive but Captain Bucko responded and admitted he stuffed up. Clearly a stand up guy. So I booked. Day started at 7am and ended up 5pm. We fished several spots for xl snapper and kingfish and we even managed some very nice other fish. It was a Sensational day worth a skipper and fisherman who does know his stuff. If your serious about fishing and prefer small groups then look no further.

Visited October 2013

Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Big Let Down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked a charter with captain bucko a couple of months ago for last weekend 10/08/13. This was a surprise trip for my husband for his birthday. So friends organised to come so time off work etc, kids sorted. Off we go. This had always been on my husbands bucket list. Arrived Paihia Friday night as not received any call from Bucko advising cancelled due to weather. I had been keeping and eye on weather all week. As asked Bucko when I booked should I wait till summer. He told me no he had caught some of his biggest fish at this time of year. So forecast all week and on friday was around 15 knots rising late Saturday to 30 knots. All good we had a morning charter. Arrived Paihia. Friends surprised husband. We all excited for the fishing trip Saturday. Set alarms got up early and at wharf at 6.50am. 7.00am still no captain or boat. Called Bucko. He advised he was still asleep and would ring me back. Waited for the call. He advised if I had seen weather. I advised yes and told him as above. He told me no it will be 25knots rising to 40 knots in the afternoon. Then adivised he had his kids and could not get a babysitter for them. I asked if he was cancelling the trip which he would not say so I called it as no baby sitter and clearly he was not prepared to go out. Feel weather was the excuse to get out of it. We were highly disappointed and thought he was unprofessional. He advised I should have called him. I do not run his business. Does he not have a diary. He took my booking and c/card number when I booked at beginning of July. So now we are out of pocket for fuel, accommodation, relief truck drivers etc. The weekend took alot of organising also with both of us couples having kids. We waited all day for the winds to show up on Saturday but they never showed just like bucko. We own our own boats in auckland so understand weather conditions. No communication to us what so ever until we made contact. Would never use and will look for other reliable skippers as plenty in Paihia. But Bucko had a good reputation and well known. May he thought he was above us who know's.

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Maree O
Auckland, New Zealand
“Kingfish dreams come true”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We took a Kingie charter with Captain Bucko on 2 June 2013. We hoped to get into some exciting fishing based on what friends had experienced and Buckos reputation. We wanted to catch some good Kingies and given that we are now in June and things had quietened down in Auckland we left our boat at home and headed north to test the great fishing in The Bay of Islands with Bucko. We started by catching a heap of livies at up to 5 per drop and after filling the bait tank we headed further out in the Bay and anchored on a pinnacle with one other charter boat alongside. We soon appreciated Bucko's complusive obsession for anchoring perfection as he studied the sounder and positioned the boat perfectly in the zone. One of our party was clearly in the best spot as he went 3 nil up with good fish of up to 35lbs. But the gear and techniques deployed by Bucko and his trusty deckhand Boston were fail safe as everyonenin our party soon landed huge fish on excellent gear. This is not fishing for the faint hearted - if you want to catch a real fish then this is the way to go - the boat is perfectly sized for this type of fishing ( big kings, hapuku and snapper) - its a real boat for keen fishos and will give you a trip to remember. For a little extra cost we are now enjoying beaty Kingie steaks and smoked Kingie fillets all vaccum packed - Paradise! Looking forward to a repeat trip soon.

Visited June 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Amazing Fishing with Captain Bucko”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Great days fishing! My dad, brother and I went out for a days fishing with Captain Bucko. We had a great time, he is a really funny guy, very safety conscious and really really good at finding fish. We caught kingfish and snapper which Bucko filleted for us. To anyone wishing to fish it's definitely worth the stop.

Lucy Rutten

Visited April 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“whangaroa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Smashed it bro, Saturday 20th april, Beans 4oth,at kingfish lodge, awesome.One of the Best of my nine trips with bucko,A day out of whangaroa harbour,far north saw, King fish hammer head john dory , and big big snapps biggest being 23.6lbs, and kingis 16kgs Next trip already planned.

Visited April 2013