“Update to "buyer beware"” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Haruru Falls and Waitangi River Tour on a Traditional Maori Waka with Guide
Ranked #23 of 49 Tours in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bay of Islands is home to the Ngapuhi tribe and Taiamai Tours heritage journeys. Our interactive Waka experience provides a rare and unique insight into our ancient customs, rituals and traditions. Join us on our Waka voyage and we promise you will leave us with everlasting memories which will remain with you forever.
Perth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Update to "buyer beware"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Need to let the Trip Advisor community that Taimai Tours did refund us with much apology (and before they knew of my post).
We remain dissappointed that we didn't get to take the tour as by everyone's account is is worth doing.
Maybe nextime :)

Visited January 2012
1 Thank GCtogo

Canvey Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Maori Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

We booked a cruise with P&O starting in New Zealand and finishing in Southampton and this was the first and best trip of our holiday.

It was educational in the sense that we learnt a great deal about the Maori history and culture but above all it was great fun. The Maori's were brilliant and soon had us all paddling in unison like some weird European / Maori war tribe. I'd highly recommend this trip to anyone thinking of visiting the Bay of Islands.

Visited February 2012
Chilliwack, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The most amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

The paddle journey on the waka with Taiamai Tours was the highlight of my six weeks in New Zealand. I learned so much about the history of the area from the Maori perspective. I learned of the ways that they were able to sustain themselves without going shopping at the mall. Most of all, I learned something of the ceremonies that are so very important upon arrival at the marae. It was a truly powerful and spiritual experience that touched me deeply. Sonny and Hone were the most informative and helpful people I could ever have wished to meet. My thanks to them for the very special time in their waka.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank FionaH68
Perth
“Buyer beware!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Unfortunately for us our cruise ship cancelled the port visit due to poor and worsening weather. As soon as I knew I phone Hone at Taimai Tours and explained the situation. He said no problems. he would arrange refunds.
That hasn't happened - and I have emailed since arriving back home and have not even had the decency of a reply.
All I can say is read the fine print! and don't book with these people unless you know for sure you can take the tour.
This spoilt my opinion of NZ'ers being a very obliging lot as I had no trouble with any other tour operator.
Pity.....

Visited January 2012
1 Thank GCtogo
Clovis, California
3 attraction reviews
“Waka boat trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I recently did the Taiamai tour in the Bay of Islands along with my blind adult son. It was the highlight of our trip to New Zealand. The background information that they gave us enhanced the continuation of our trip through NZ. Knowing the background of the Maoris helped us to understand how important it is for them and everyone not to forget their heritage. The trip was a lot of fun and we passed beautiful scenery. The safety that they showed us especially my son was exceptional. Don't miss it. I will always remember that day.

Visited February 2012