“Disappointed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The food was delivered so fast we felt as though we were in a fast food restaurant. The standard of food was below par, my husband having the calamari and me the moules. We tried to order soft drinks but no fizzy water and no ginger ale. We ended up with table water. Staff seemed dis interested and there was no atmosphere in the place. Very disappointed.

1  Thank misspoppy02
There are newer reviews for Jimmy Jack's Rib Shack

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I noticed that this restaurant had a really good rating from Trip Advisor in a prominent position on the bar counter after we sat down to have a quick lunch. "Great" I thought, the food should be good. How disappointing. I ordered the fried calamari. My husband had a burger and fries. Should be pretty easy to get such pub staples right shouldn't it? Especially on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Well. The husband's burger and fries were ok. The fires were piping hot. The calamari was NOT. Obviously either the chef has a timing problem or the wait staff do. Maybe it is a combination of the two. The calamari was cold and had clearly been waiting for the other meal to be cooked. Unfortunately no-one came over after the meal was delivered to ask how things are (which is usual in NZ) so I couldn't send it back. The staff were friendly enough when ordering but disappeared afterward. So, being hungry I VERY slowly and RELUCTANTLY ate the COLD meal. What really annoyed me was seeing a HOT dish of calamari delivered not long afterward to another table. Normally I wouldn't say anything but as the meal was ruined by it being cold and that the restaurant/pub had a good rating prominently displayed I did say something to the manager/ waiter when he cleared the plates. Now I wasn't complaining expecting a big refund or anything but it is a little insulting to be offered a $4 reduction off the bill ( about 10% of the cost of the calamari) and a "voucher" which was an ordinary 20% off the rib meal of the week that anyone could get. Sorry, but I should have followed my first instinct of walking on by and finding somewhere better. Apart from that, the bar does play some really good music from the 50's to the 80's. Overall, very disappointing.

1  Thank isiscatnz
Reviewed October 14, 2012

meals were two for the price of one, friendly staff made you feel welcome, nice music to listen to while eating. Was able to take the left overs back to the motel for late

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Probably the worst steak I've ever had. It was chewy, loads of fat bits and well-done instead of medium. I've also got charged extra 4$ for spicy wedges while the price difference on the menu was only 3$ compared to fires. Not a big difference but it tells something...
Furthermore, as I've just came back from a bush walk in my hiking gear on, it took them about 10 minutes to bring some water out, while a nicely dressed couple arrived 5min after me was greated with a bottle straight away.
Worst dining experience so far in New Zealand. Not recommended at all.

3  Thank Lendusz
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Our party of six ate here on a Tuesday evening. The food was good, but basic - ribs, burgers, fried fish - so if you want something more interesting, you should go elsewhere. The big problem for us, though, wasn't the food but the time it took to get it. Other tables got their food before we did, even though we were waiting long before they arrived. It probably wasn't worth the wait for us, but if you are a meat lover with a big appetite, this may be a great spot for you.