“Wow factor” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Explore - Discover the Bay

Explore - Discover the Bay
Ranked #10 of 49 Tours in Paihia
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore the best of the Bay of Islands. Encounter diverse wildlife, spectacular scenery and the rich culture and history of the region. Be immersed in the story of the Bay…
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wow factor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Loved the relaxed attitude and friendly staff. Good weather was a plus and going through the hole in the wall was an experience to remember. Skipper also found a few dolphins to come out to play. Did the four trip which was good for us. Another plus was early I the season so not crowded. Would definitely recommend this to travellers. Great value for money.

Hamburg, Germany
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Nice afternoon cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Well, we were not so lucky with this day. First we had to share the boat with a big Chinese group that was impressively uneducated and behaved very bad, second the weather was cloudy and windy and a bit cold.
But even though we saw a lot of islands and our lady captain gave us all the relevant explanation. Also we met dolphins which was a very impressive moment.
Finally we arrived at the whole in the Rock and the sea was so rough that I was convinced we wouldn't pass through, but after some waiting she really did it and that was really an exciting moment.
So, overall great pleasure.
On the way back you can exit the tour in Russell to spend some time there . You will get a free ticket to go back to Paihia with the ferry whenever you want. Ferry leaves every full hour at the same peer.

1 Thank GWHAM
Montreal, Canada
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Fantastic dolphin, whales, sightseeing day in Bay of Islands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Thanks to Explore NZ, we had a phenomenal day in Paihia and sailing the Bay of Islands.
The boat was very nice, clean and comfortable. We sailed out from Paihia and almost immediately spotted a whale and some dolphins in a close distance. We then sailed a bit further to again witness playful dolphins, australasian gannets diving in the water for food and another whale!
We then proceeded to the hole in the rock.
The whole journey was narrated by our well informed captain and the crew onboard was all smiles.

I recommend it!

1 Thank MapleTravels
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
11 attraction reviews
“Windy but pretty views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I had a car crash right before the trip. However, the staff allowed me to push back my cruise tour to the afternoon so I had time to settle my car. Good service!

I enjoyed the wind blowing through my face and the scenery. I managed to see the dolphins, but they were only simply swimming, but not jumping out of the water like what you would see in the theme parks. So, don't expect to see them jumping high up. I didn't have a chance to swim with the dolphins as there were babies dolphins. Also due to the bad weather, we were unable to go through the hole in the rock.

My favorite part is visiting Russel, the island near-by. It's really simple and sweet over there. It gave off a romantic feeling and I watched the sunset there. Took very beautiful silhouette pictures there. There were many seabirds there as well and a friend of mine had a great time chasing them.

Visited September 2013
Oundle, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“No dolphins...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Oh, what a shame! We went on this on one of the stormiest days of spring and so the waves were rather large, to say the least. The dolphins were not playing ball - cannot say that I blame them - but we still managed to get close to the Hole in the Wall, although not through it. The organisers did their best in very difficult circumstances and the commentary was excellent - as was the packed lunch that we qualified for.

Visited October 2013