“Good Experience”

Ranked #5 of 59 Restaurants in Paihia
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: UNLIKE MOST PLACES WE NEVER CHARGE HOLIDAY SURCHARGE Live Music Every Sunday Afternoon 3pm - 6pm. Happy Hour Everyday 3pm - 6pm Alfresco's is a family run business that is open everyday from 8.00Am serving freshly produced food and excellent coffee. We strive to give great service anytime of the day.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The menu has a good variety of choices. My husband had steak which he prefers to have cooked 'medium to well' - this was slightly pinker than he would normally eat it but he said it was one of the best he's ever enjoyed. Our friend had the 'no batter seafood platter' and raved about it. I had the slow cooked shoulder of lamb which was 'melt in the mouth' succulent and the vegetables accompanying were different and tasty. It's so nice to order a main course and have the vegetables included!!! The staff were attentive and service was good. Pleasant, casual atmosphere. Altogether a very nice experience.

Kelvnz, Manager at Alfresco's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Hi There
Many thanks for taking the time to leave us such a great review. I'm delighted to read that you and your friends had such a great experience at our restaurant and that you found both the food and service so good! I will be sure to pass on your comments to our staff who will be very happy to hear such great feedback.
Many thanks again and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Paihia!
Many thanks

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Awesome Eggs Benedict and an equally awesome view of the harbour. Breakfast is served until late which was great.

Kelvnz, Manager at Alfresco's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Hi There
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a great review. I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed your breakfast with us so much and yes the views across the Bay are awesome!
Many thanks and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stay at Anchorage Motel which is right next door so Alfresco's is really handy. Food is always great as is the friendly service.

Hi Breena
Thanks very much for the review. Delighted to hear you enjoyed your visits to us so much and we're very handy when you're staying next door!.
Look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Paihia!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Really enjoyed the breakfast - eggs benedict & Coffee. The eggs & hollandaise sauce were simply perfect, the sixe fo the meal and presention very good. The expresso Coffee was also very very good. (and coffee is very important to me). The service was pleasant, efficient and timely with meals and coffee's.
The only thing that would have made the experience more enjoyable is if the music had been a little quieter -at least intially. It was pleasant enough and certainly not a deal breaker... and once I'd had coffee I didn't take any more notice of it.

Kelvnz, Manager at Alfresco's Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Hi Craig
Thanks very much for leaving us such a great review. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us so much especially the coffee! If you had let our staff know the music was a bit loud we would have turned it down without a problem!
many thanks and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Paihia

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The only reason we went to this restaurant was because they advertised a good deal on GrabOne (a one day deal site). I asked a question and got a prompt response. Booking was easy. Sited on the south side of Paihia Beach, it was not easy to find - had to use the GPS.

Despite what you read on their web site, only a few of the tables have a view. I wouldn't call it waterfront dining. Having said that, the atmosphere was great, and the service flawless.

The food was a mixed bag. I ordered the no batter seafood platter. The smoked salmon wings were very nice, with great smokey flavour. The small prawns and scallops were well cooked, preserving their delicate flavours, the calamari cooked to perfection, the kakoda (Fijian raw fish salad) was tasty. Unfortunately, the dish went south from here. The pan fried fish was dry and tasteless, the mussels were over cooked and also tasteless, the shrimp cocktail was ordinary, the oysters, well I could have bought them from the supermarket.

My wife ordered the scotch fillet. She normally has her steak well done but I convince her to try medium well, and it was how she ordered. The steak was way overcooked, and even she who likes well done steak found the steak way too cooked.

My daughter ordered the big sized seafood chowder. The soup was tasty, although some of the seafood pieces inside were overcooked and tough, and looked as if they came from a frozen mixed seafood packet bought from the supermarket.

All I can say was I am glad I paid for the mains via the GrabOnbe special ... certainly won't be going back again. I wish that restaurants would take advantage of their location and provide great food and service. Is this too much to ask?

Hi There
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy some aspects of your meals when you dined with us on Friday. I will pass your comments on to our kitchen staff and I do apologise about your experience.
Thank you for your comments about the great service you received from our staff and I would encourage you to let the staff know if there was a problem with your food so that the issue can be rectified there and then and you can leave happy.
I found it strange that you found it hard to find our restaurant as we on right on the beachfront of Paihia and the first restaurant when you arrive into Paihia.
Again thank you for your review as feedback whether good or bad is productive