“Half day Hole in the Rock Cruise.”

Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$74.92*
and up
Bay of Islands Cape Brett 'Hole in the Rock' Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands offers Northland’s most comprehensive range cruises and tours. The Fullers name has been synonymous with cruises in the Bay of Islands since 1886. Today the passionate and knowledgeable local team are proud to showcase the wonders of the region including cruises to the famous “Hole in the Rock”, dolphin watching/swimming cruises and day tours to the Hokianga, Kerikeri, Russell and Cape Reinga via 90 Mile Beach.
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Half day Hole in the Rock Cruise.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

This great half day cruise is definitely worth every cent. The views and scenery were amazing to start and there was a lot of dolphins around! When we would spot the dolphins the captain would slow down the boat and try to stick around the dolphins so that we could see them. The staff on board were very friendly and the boat was clean and in great shape. The commentary about Bay of Islands, marine life, etc was very interesting and informative. We were able to cruise through the Hole in the Rock even though the sea was a bit choppy, so kudos to our Captain as well!
The stop at Otehei Bay was great as we were able to do some hikes, have our sandwiches, and enjoy a beer. I wish the stop could have been a bit longer to enjoy some more of the hiking trails.
On the way back you could get off and Russel on the way to Paihia and Fullers would provide a free public ferry ticket back. We were unable to do this due to time, but I have heard that Russell is totally worth the stop!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MV83_13

Lancashire, United Kingdom
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Half day Cape Brett & hole in the rock boat trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

The boat trip to Cape Brett & the hole in the rock is a large cataraman with indoor and outdoor seating.

The tour and the majority of passengers from Paihia and make a pick up stop at Russel, take note all the best seats have been taken before reaching Russel.

The tour then proceeds onto the Cape Brett peninsular all the way to the hole in the rock, which is well a rock with a hole in it, can't say it is anything special. The boat does travel through the hole on good days, on the day I travelled on this trip the weather was poor, the sea was rough and many of the passengers were suffering from sea sickness, so we didn't go through the rock or spend too much time out in the open water.

On the back we stopped for an hour on the island of Urupukapuka at Otehei Bay where there are toilets, a beach, a cafe and walking tracks. The time spent there is not enough to walk on the trails or too long just to sit on the beach with tea and cake. It is important to note here, that when you get on people who occupied the best seats on the boat on the first leg of the journey, have saved their seats, with bags etc.

Another stop is then made at Russel where everyone is free to get off, Fullers even provide free tickets to return to Paihia on the ferry at your leisure.

The full tour ends on return to Paihia around 4 hours later.

There is commentry throughout the journey and if any Dolphins/Whales/other wildlife is spotted time is spent observing them and the captain tries to get as close as she/he can.

All in all I thought this trip was a little too long. You could easily shave an hour off this trip.

1 Thank TortMad
Gladstone, Australia
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Half Day Hole in the Rock Cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Great half day cruise to the Hole in the Rock. We stopped to spot dolphins in the bay but there weren't too many around. Continued on towards the Rock. Beautiful scenery & water was really calm. Staff on board were friendly & commentary was great & informative. As we neared the Rock there were more dolphins so the boat stopped & we got to see them. We got to cruise through the Hole which was great. The stop at Otehei Bay was excellent. We grabbed an early lunch & the kids had a swim in the beautiful clear water. On the way back to Paihia, there was an option to get off the boat at Russell & you got given a free ferry voucher to use later in the day to go back to Paihia.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Blueysmrs
Thirroul, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Swim with dolphins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

This was one of the best things I have ever done!!! You can get so close to the dolphins and in an environment that does not harm them! they love to play and are very interested in us. Floppy who has worked with Fullers for years and knows every dolphin in the bay is very knowledgable and you can see really loves and cares about these creatures and their environment... I commend her!
This activity is a must do when in Bay of Islands!!! You'll never forget it!

1 Thank snowblownbetty
Polanica Zdroj, Poland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Just so Perfect in so many ways with a good Selling Structure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

To the people who organise these trips welldone my daytrip to the Cape on my Awesome Trip was magnificent from the time i stepped on the bus till the time i left the bus feeling sad then as it was over, but then came more a day out on the lovely boats or motor cruisers to show me the dolphins + the hole in the rock + an island hoppy thing was once again value for money & for my 2 best days of travel so far well in NZ anyway of a 12 month journey + after a great week in Paihia in the most friendly place they call a backpackers but it felt like my home its the best backpackers i have stayed in Worldwidw so big thanks to Rosey (aussie male) & Bryan also but really to Rosey you were so nice to me and spent an hour with me talking about fullers products & trips & giving me all the opions on what to do and when to do it so big thanks again for you selling me my 2 day trips and to all the lovely people everywhere in Paihia welldone + I will be back i promise you as Rosey has still got tours for me to do ...lol..Thanks again & sorry if i have stolen others words its hard writing all this

1 Thank AnikaL757