“Fun day fishing with my family!”
Review of Arline Fishing Charters - CLOSED

Arline Fishing Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: At five and a half hours this trip is the best value in the Bay of Islands. Our boat is a 43ft wooden character launch, the ideal fishing platform for individuals, groups and families with a good combination of shelter and open deck space. The Skipper has 49 years experience in charter boats and is the areas longest serving fishing skipper. Owner on-board to ensure a memorable trip.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 28, 2011

What a great trip! It was my brother's birthday on Feb. 23rd so all of us celebrated by fishing with Arline's and having a fish Barb-B-Q that night! The 6 of us from New York were joined by 2 Kiwis on board (Tony and Brent) and had a great time. What a wonderful day interacting with the crew and everyone on board! Once I understood that 'tiles' means 'tails' when being instructed on baiting the hook I was all set. The trip, crew, company was absolutely wonderful....do not miss out on this experience.

Muzza28, Owner at Arline Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

I enjoyed having your family on board. After your comments about house sharing and meeting the locals, I was glad that we had a couple of outgoing Kiwis on board as well. The dynamics between the groups seemed to work well.

The reminder about the "tiles" brought a smile to my face but I still think that we aren't the ones with the accent :-)

Thanks for choosing us and thanks for the review.

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Murray is the best: pleasant, entertaining, and he knows how to catch these fish. The boat Captain, Jake is a fishing machine. I fished 2 days in a row with Arline. The boat is very stable (the waters in the bay are inherently stable so if you get sea sick in big swells don’t worry about it!) Murray warned us that the fishing was off in the couple of days before my trip and would have let me get out of going but no way: as they say, a day not catching fish is STILL better than a day at the office! They fish for snappers like we fish for Rock Cod back in NorCal, so it took no time to get going. The snappers taste fantastic but I had more fun catching the Kahawai. Kahawai were brand new to me, coming from the US. These guys look a bit like a salmon from up top and they fight like them, with long ripping runs. Murray says most don’t eat them except smoked. I fried one up with salt pepper and lemon and it was good-though you gotta be sure to get rid of the gray fat. The fat- not so good. The boat has a small head, and there is dry storage for your gear and lunch. He was using newer gear, a nice change from some of the SF Bay Area share charters! Also the price! I won’t quote it in case stuff changes on Murray but it was a great deal. Cheaper than the local competition and way cheaper than back home and Murray was not all anal about bookings- as long as he has 4 paying customers he goes out. If he doesn’t get 4 he will get you on another boat if they have room. Murray also didn’t charge to filet- nice! He gave cooking tips and pointed us to restaurants that would cook our catch. All of the other fisher folk were great, everyone chatted and compared lives, a great family atmosphere. Bring your lunch and water and a good attitude and you will have a ball!

One thing that has always amazed me is how fast everyone settles in and introduces themselves to everyone else. The interaction and willingness to get involved makes most trips an absolute pleasure for me as well.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip with us and thanks for the fantastic review.

Murray

P.S. The fishing machine was Terry not Jake but you are right he is a bit of a machine at times.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

I went out on a great day on the Arline. And while the fish were a little reluctant to bite in their usual large numbers/sizes on that day, the relaxed friendliness and professionalism of Murray (the owner/deckhand) and Terry (the skipper) was one of the nicest experiences of all the many fishing charters I've ever been on. And the fish tasted great too!
Well done chaps!

Muzza28, Owner at Arline Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2011

Thanks for your review (I'm not allowed to mention reviewers names.) I wish that we could've produced better fish but not even Terry's magic touch can produce hordes of big hungry Snapper every time. I'm glad that you appreciate our efforts though. It was a pleasure having you on board.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and went out with murray and his skipper earlier this month. We picked this activity/excursion based on trip advisor reviews and were certainly not disappointed. This is definitely one of the highlights of our trip. We were fishing for smaller fish as we were using a 20lb line. The day started off slow but then picked up to the point where we were almost catching something every time we put a line in the water. We caught red and golden Snapper and kingfish. There were only 6 of us on board and this trip offers amazing value. Murray is great and very patient. We havent fished in almost 10 years so we got a lesson and help to get started and really enjoyed it.

One of the best parts is that Murray filleted all the fish. We could keep as much as we want. He then directed us to a couple of restaurants in town which would cook it for us and we did. Freshest fish you can eat. Write from the water and cooked the same afternoon.

Would definitely do this again and

1  Thank 14Roger

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review, I'm wrapped that you enjoyed your trip out with us. My biggest buzz is having happy customers.

Reviewed January 14, 2011

Arline Fishing Charter was definitely a great choice out of the many charters available at Paihia. At only $80 and 51/2 hours out on the water it was the cheapest and the longest trip on offer. The boat was comfortable and clean and all equipment was provided. Terry and Murray (Skipper and owner of the charter) made the day out really enjoyable and relaxing. Instruction and help for fishing was always at hand for those of us who needed it and best of all we caught SO MANY FISH!!!

1  Thank MelONZ14
Muzza28, Owner at Arline Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2011

Thanks for the review, we appreciate you taking the time to telling our future customers about your experience with us. With regards to the fish, it definitely is a pretty good time to be out there "catching" the fish as there seem to be a lot around at the moment. Lots of fun.