“Amazing sailing trip and boat but sadly the hospo team lets them down”

Carino Sailing & Dolphins
More attraction details
Owner description: Come sailing on Carino NZ. Help to hoist sails or sit back and relax. We are the only yacht licensed to swim and view wild dolphins in the Bay. Included is an island stopover for Snorkeling tours, Island walks, beach games and BBQ lunch. Depart Paihia 9.30Am-3.45Pm daily.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing sailing trip and boat but sadly the hospo team lets them down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I have sailed on the carino and I loved it last time. This time I still loved the boat, the spots we visited the penguins and many many dolphins. It was all great except the service we received on boarding the boat.

On boarding I was told to hurry up and pay because we were late when in fact we had been waiting in Russell for the boat which was 10 minutes late. When asked what the problem was I was informed they had been waiting in piahia despite the fact that I had the booking form clearly stating a Russell pick up. I said that was hardly our fault and she just brushed me off.

My advice to your skipper -
If YOUR late then apologize for your tardiness, don't blow the customer up for it.
If the customer is late then be gracious but explain that the other guests have been waiting and it would be best to get underway ASAP.

Common customer service 101 is very easy and goes a long a way!

Visited February 2014
CarinoNZ, Owner at Carino Sailing & Dolphins, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Livesinnz

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate all comments on our tour.

Yes we were late for the Russell pickup and we do apologize for this. We had been waiting in Paihia for a booking that not reconfirmed. We ask that all guests call and reconfirm their booking for weather, lunch and departure port updates. When we do not hear from guests we wait an extra couple of minutes at each port, in case of a mix up.

We are sorry your boarding experience was not friendly, we will endeavor to fix this. We are glad you managed to enjoy the rest of the day and the two pods of dolphins encountered.

Vanessa McKay
Carino Sailing and Dolphin Adventures

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful day.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

What a great day!
Wonderful. friendly, highly skilled and informative crew, who really semed to care about what they were doing and were keen to share their knowledge. The Carino herself was a lovely boat and it was great to travel under sail.
The trip consisted of us sailing around the bay on th lookout for wildlife, plenty of seabirds and penguins around but no dolphins at that time. We then made our way to an island where we swam to the shore, explored the island a bit, there were some great views from the top at an old gun emplacement. Others went snorkling around the rocks before we either swam back or were collected in a dinghy. We then had some delicious BBQ sausages and salad before setting off back into the bay to continue looking for dolphins.
As we were going back my wife and I were saying what a fantastic time we'd had and what a great day it would be even if we didn't see dolphins, when a call came over the radio to say a couple of pods had been spotted. We made our way over to them and were so lucky to see a large number with a couple of babies as well. They were particularly keen on playing with the Carino's rudders!
Couldn't recommend this any more, a lovely, lovely day, great value and one of the highlights of our whole trip to NZ.

Visited January 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Carino - Best day of the holidays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Brilliant attraction, sailing (i.e. with the wind as well as an engine) around the islands, saw dolphins really close up. Informative and attentive crew. I saw another boat and thought wow, there are a lot of people on taht boat, we had a handful, perhaps 20 and it was superb as there was space to move around, no crowding and 121 time with informed hosts. Snorkling off the back deck in a bay, lunch on board, brilliant day, best value. Would highly recommend.

Visited January 2014
Haywards Heath, England, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Joy of nature, I guess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We took this tour on 15 December 2013. We spent the day sailing and motoring around the bay and only saw a few penguins, which was a disappointment. As this operator doesn't have a guarantee on seeing dolphins we were left with no refund or alternative day offered. The boat was clean, well maintained; the crew friendly; there were plenty of snorkels etc. and the lunch tasty, healthy and filling. Overall though a disappointing day out.

Visited December 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was one of the best trips of our whole holiday. The crew were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Most importantly for me, they really cared about the wildlife and the dolphins. We came across one pod with a 17 day old baby - a lot of the dolphins came really close to the boat, which was amazing to see. We didn't swim with this pod, quite rightly so, due to the baby. We got some great photos though. A little further on we came across a teenage pod, which put on a display of acrobatics that was second to none. We had the opportunity to swim with this pod - they weren't very interested in us though :) I would never have dreamt that I could have got so close to this magnificent wild animal, and it was a pleasure to do so. The on board barbecue was lovely, and the vegan meal was really tasty. All in all, this was a fantastic trip - the dolphins are respected and happy, and the staff are caring and friendly. When we go back to New Zealand, we will be sailing with the Carino again.

Visited December 2013