“Great Cafe - Horrible Chocolate Shop Experience”

The Silky Oak Chocolate Company
and up
Half-Day Self-Guided Hawkes Bay Coastline and Wineries Cycling Tour
Ranked #1 of 18 Shopping in Napier
Reviewed March 28, 2013

With my family we had lunch at the cafe, and enjoyed it very much! Great food, great selection and tasty! We thought we would visit the chocolate shop after as my Nana wanted to buy a gift and I wanted to see what my 2 and half year old thought of all the chocolate! Long story short, my son accidently dropped a display item (made of chocolate) from the great height of his 2 and a half years!! It did not break, but my God we were very quickly swooped upon by an uptight staff member who very rudely instructed us that we would have to pay for it if it was broken - which goes without saying. Her whole attitude sucked and if it was a little more nicer, the situation would not have carried on the way it did... I told the woman that I thought her service and approach to the situation was awful - I don't think she really cared. I picked my son up and told my Mum and Nana we were leaving the shop as we had been 'told off', the lady then tried to clarify the problem that she had not told ME off - just my son. Where I informed her that there was no need to do that and she needed to back off.
As you can imagine, that experience left a bad taste in the mouth.

2  Thank EmmaHall1980
soak, Owner at The Silky Oak Chocolate Company, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

I am sorry to see this reveue. I was the person who dealt with this matter. Whilst the adults were in the shop with the child, they were not supervising him. I spoke potlitely and asked that he not handle items on display. This was ignored, and when the item was dropped on the floor, I again spoke politely regarding not touching, this is when his mother became aggitated and said I should not tell her child what to do. With that she swept out of the shop with the child. We do have signs informing people that alot of our packaging is chocolate, and to please not handle them.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Expensive but you do pay for good chocolate. A little museum attached to the gift shop too, with really handy 'things' as well as the usual gifts. Coffee was nice from the cafe.

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate at this cafe for lunch and it was one of the best we've had in New Zealand. The "chocolate extreme" is like eating a cup of hot fudge! I ordered a BLT (topped with brie!) and it was large enough for two people and SO tasty! My partner enjoyed his chorizo risotto and iced coffee as well. The young man who served us was polite and adorable.

As for the shop: We had sampled the chocolates at dinner the night before and they were great. So we were sad when we couldn't fight past the endless tour groups at the shop's tiny counter to buy any. We were ready and willing to hand over money, but after 5 minutes we just gave up. The chocolate's good, but not fight-a-retiree for it good.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

what a delicious smell when you enter this place, chocolate is great as well, gift shop is full of lots of bits and pieces

Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at Silky Oak with high expectations.
Upon arrival the staff were friendly and handing out samples of their dark / milk chocolate as you entered. The chocolates on display looked awesome until you saw the prices......where is the value?
$4.30 for a little fancy choc cup or a block of lindt chocolate?
The rows below allowed 7 small chocolates for $9.99.
Again, not alot of value there.
We looked at the prices on the cafe menu and gave it a complete 'miss'.
We thought we would check out the history.....$16 entry price for a couple starting with a craft & sovenior shop upon entry really gave a poor first impression.

OVERALL IMPRESSION
If you are in the area take a look.....but otherwise I would give it a miss.

MOST INTERESTING FEATURE
A 70cm Chocolate Bunny that is 18 years old.

2  Thank KiddHouse