“Clean, comfortable, friendly staff & very handy to everything.”

Edgewater Motor Lodge
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Napier
Wellington, New Zealand
“Clean, comfortable, friendly staff & very handy to everything.”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

For a comfortable stay & so central to everything I cannot recommed this accommodation highly enough. Roy was so friendly & also the other staff very helpful.
If you are travelling away from home/overseas I know you will enjoy your stay here very much.
My husband & I will be returning again very soon.
Louise - Kapiti Coast

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Romaxbert, Owner at Edgewater Motor Lodge, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you Louise for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to your next visit.
Regards
Roy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Three of us stayed in a 6-bedded suite for two nights here and it suited our purpose (Art Deco enthusiasts) just fine, though relatively expensive at $240 per night. The accommodation was very well appointed, lacking nothing and including its own little balcony overlooking the ocean. Management was quietly efficient and helpful when necessary. The motel is about 15mins walk from the town centre along the very pleasant Marine Parade.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hello Mike.
Thank you for your review comments. I was alittle concerned that you did not rate the value of the unit very high. $240 per night for a 2 bedroom unit that sleeps up to 6 people is very good value. We do have one bedroom units that are better value for a smaller group. February is Napiers busiest month of the year so it does pay to book ahead. All the best.
Regards
Roy
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This hotel looks directly at the ocean in Napier. Downtown is within walking distance. The new zealand aquarium is nearby as well. The room is fairly big and the bed comfortable. Owner is very helpful. Very clean. Free wifi. I would stay here again. Only issue is, being right on the last street before the ocean, there is a bit of traffic noise on the street. This can't really be helped though, but it might be annoying if you left the windows open. There was no air conditioning in my room. If I were to improve anything in the motel, it would be to install air conditioning. While it was never warm enough when I was there that it was an issue, I could see it being annoying having the windows open at night with the traffic on the road in front of the motel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Arrived into Napier without having booked anything and wandered into this motel. A really warm greeting, when I said I wasn't sure I was promptly shown a room and immediately said yes. As has been said this is an 'older' motel but I wouldn't use the word 'dated'. What really struck me was the cleanliness, I've never seen a hotel room cleaner, once I notices how clean it was I started having a really good look and could not fault it. Our bed was comfortable and the kitchen area was really great for our two night stay. Our host was happy to recommend a dinner spot for us and farewelled us like we'd known him forever.
I would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: we were on the ground floor just near the 'very small' pool.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
New Mexico, USA
Reviewed January 7, 2012

The Edgewater's location was great for us, central so we could explore on foot. Room was spacious enough for 3 adults, bathroom big enough, and kitchenette served well for breakfast. Our ground floor room shared a terrace area with ~3 other rooms, with tiny plunge pool, with a tall fence and plantings separating it from the sidewalk on Marine Parade. A 2nd floor room would have provided a view. Proprietors were friendly and very helpful, pointing out must-see sights and directions to the sheepskin factory outlet.

Room Tip: Upper floor gives view of the beach.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ared505
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights recently
The slat bed was terribly uncomfortable
The room was very dark and tired and very small
We asked for a fan as no air con and my husband on morphine gets very warm but we never received the fan. Questioned why we paid more than the web site price and was told there were smaller rooms upstairs yet we were upstairs.
Host was not friendly nor welcoming so will not be staying there on our next visit
The location was great and a very small balcony with sea views over the road

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Linda M
Romaxbert, Owner at Edgewater Motor Lodge, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Hello Linda. Thank you for your review and I am really sorry that I did not give you the fan at the time of asking. I said that I would drop one up to your unit. I was busy with other people when you called. A simple pick up the phone and dial zero would have solved the problem. As far as the beds are concerned we have a Medium mattresses on them. That seems to be more than suitable for the 99% of the 10,000 guest we have per year. And as for the Rate of the unit, we have 10 units up stairs. 7 studios, 2 the same as yours, 2 smaller and 3 bigger with cooking facilities and a larger balcony. All as described on holiday guide which is how you booked.
We do the smaller units cheaper. When you checked in at 11am you signed a registration form. A contract which has the rate on it. Once again thank you for the review and we will use your fedback to make improvements. Regards Roy
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Great location across the road from the ocean. Had a great view from our upstairs room. The room was quite small but had everything that we needed for an overnight stay. Very friendly hosts. Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Romaxbert, Owner at Edgewater Motor Lodge, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Gidday.
Thanks very much for taking the time to write us a review. The unit that you were in is our smallest unit and depending on availability it dosen't cost to much to up grade to a bigger one. No harm in asking if you are not happy. I hope you have a very Merry Xmas. All the best Roy