“Weird and wonderful”
Review of Opossum World

Opossum World
Ranked #4 of 18 Shopping in Napier
Reviewed December 15, 2013

On the street it looks like an ordinary gift shop selling goods made from possum fur and wool. But inside there's so much more to explore.

Lurking in the back of Opossum World is series of displays that attempt to explain why the possum is considered a pest in New Zealand, and the damage it does to native flora and fauna.

Being a marsupial, the possum is an interesting animal anyway, but the ageing taxidermy displays add a bit of entertainment to the experience.

Napier is well known for its art deco buildings, sunny weather and vineyards, but there's nothing else like Opossum World. I highly recommend this for an unusual and memorable experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Free, funny and educational..

Our 2 year old loved it so much we went around twice. We learnt so much and had a good laugh.

Definitely recommended.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

How exactly do you rate Opossum World? I loved this place and was really glad I went there, but hey, I like silly places. (It's not all silly though, my wife got a great pair of gloves and a lovely scarf that she wore throughout our entire NZ trip there.)

Best I can say, if you are the type of person who would be likely to say "sure, I've been to the Grand Canyon and to the Eiffel Tower, but how can they possibly compare to visiting ... OH-possum WORLD!!!" then you should definitely swing by for a 5-star experience. I've already said this to my wife several times and I've laughed hysterically every time. She doesn't seem to get the joke though, unless rolling your eyes counts. If you thought what I just wrote was profoundly stupid, then skip this visit unless you need gloves, a scarf, or a sweater.

Happily, it's a quick visit no matter what (since it's small), unless your wife takes a long time sorting through gloves and scarves. Then it might take a while. You can entertain yourself by pressing the button to make the OH-possums sing over and over.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

If your into taxidermy- rush here. Possums as road kill, in a band- you get the idea.
Oddly appealing with lots of things to stroke.
Strong stomached kids will love it!

Reviewed July 3, 2013

It's worth a few minutes to stop in at Opossum World, which is an upscale retail store that also has cheesy dioramas and some really bad taxidermy. Come here to get a good laugh and learn everything you ever wanted to know about these Australian critters. Don't miss the singing opossums!