“Beautiful location wonderful food”

Boardwalk Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 195 Restaurants in Napier
Cuisines: Bar, European, New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Napier, New Zealand
“Beautiful location wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

I took my partner on a surprise date one summers night after hearing about the outside booth where you are basically on the beach. The mood was great, candle lights flickering, the smell of the ocean, people chattering away it made for a romantic setting. We enjoyed a lovely chorizo & prawn skewers to start followed by the lamb & fish for the main. I have a soft spot for seafood and to my girlfriends horror after enjoying the prawn & fish so much I ordered the salt & pepper squid, all three dishes were delightful.

We had both taken a leave from drinking alcohol but as the view from the booth was stunning we ordered a bottle of Hawke's Bay red and sat there sipping away watching boats roll into the harbour. I can be quite fussy when eating out but I had such a wonderful time there that I will definitly be dining again soon.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank as b

• Chinese (Traditional) first
NZ
“wonderful location only average tucker / service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

this location deserves a passionate purveyor of quality food and extra special hospitality...been a long time since that was the case.
absolute waterfront & wonderful 'situation' pity only average everything else

Visited March 2012
NZ
“Not their usual standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

It is only 2 months since I wrote a very positive review, but our experience yesterday was not so flash. We ordered two dishes fromt heir gluten free light meals selection.
The Chorizo and prawn skewers arrived with no chorizo, which sadly, was what I was craving (blame too many days spent haunting barcelone tapas bars), the salt and pepper squid had a soggy, oily coating of something on it, the "crumb" was just sticky and soggy, and I wouldn't have identified it as the dish had I not ordered it myself.

The squid was rather rubbery, the taste was bland and there were about 2 table spoons of oil sitting in the bottom of the dish when we eventually picked our way down to it.
We weren't even going to eat it, but despite having 3 wait staff on, and only half full mid afternoon, we never saw a waitress to draw attention to the deficiences once we had been served. I couldn't be bothered wandering back inside to complain, so we slowly picked out way through the dishes and left via the beach.
It wasn't the end of the world, but neither food nor service was up to the usual standard, and they MUST have known this prior to the dishes leaving the kitchen.. . "what were they thinking"
I'd have been happy with an apology and a "next time you're here, remind us and we'll make sure you get good service and a little something on the side to sweeten the memory."

• Visited April 2012
Napier, New Zealand
“Good service and ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

We went at night so couldn't enjoy the great view from the enclosed outdoor deck where we dined - but we're local so we know it's there! The place has a really great ambience and is cosy and intimate without appearing crowded. The staff were welcoming and friendly with the service casual but attentive. Prices for food and wine were on a par with what you'd expect for this type of eatery but we did use vouchers which throws things out a bit. The menu is small which we take as a good sign. All four of us enjoyed our meals but nobody had a stand-out experience with the food and perhaps expected a little more for the prices. The accompaniments with the lamb rump dish (pea & feta mash and a smoky ratatouille) clashed in texture and flavour - either one would have been great on its own. The orange and ginger pudding was yummy but again not convinced it was good value. All in all we enjoyed our dining experience and will return, and we wish the establishment every success.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank kevandtim
South Australia, Australia
“Fish and Chips!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Great location awesome view but best of all best fish and chips we had in new zealand.

Visited April 2012