“A Taste of Italy”

Ranked #24 of 201 Restaurants in Napier
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is the place in New Zealand where you'll succumb to romance and discover the tantalising flavours of Tuscany...Loving hand crafted pasta and salsa's. Followed by classic Bistecta Fiorentina or maybe a fresh fish....Having operated for 19 years providing locals & tourists great service & quality food. We use local providers for meat , fish and vegetables and all pasta etc made on site.
Ballarat, Australia
“A Taste of Italy”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We recently had some time in Napier with some friends and were delighted to find a place that had food very much like that which we had in Italy last year.
We were made feel most welcome by the owner (Enzo) and hs wife and the recommendations were just what we were after.
We enjoyed the experienec so much that we dined there on two seperate occasions.

We would recommend this experience to any one.

• Visited May 2013

Hastings, New Zealand
“Losing it's authenticity?”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Came here with my wife and some friends who said they knew this place in it's former guise and location some years ago. Raved about the authentic Italian food the previous business was known for and to be fair I was a little dissapointed. I expected more authenticity, but found it was more geared towards the new-age "too much masterchef-ish programmes on TV" sort of thing, where I would have preferred a larger less dainty meal.

My wife loved her steak, saying it was the best she'd ever had, so good for you guys there. Therefore I've upgraded my opinion from "average" to "very good". The Italian wine selection was fantastic, cannot deny that.

• Visited May 2013
Enz023, Owner at Trattoria alla Toscana, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.
As 17 years in the industry as a chef & owner our meals and styles of plating up develop and naturally evolve.
We are delighted to say that we still make everything the old fashioned way from scratch from pasta to every salsa cooked to order.
We are also delighted to have employed a further two fully qualified Italian Chefs Lorenzo & Riccardo from Bologna , of course they have brought a few new authentic modern Italian flavours & styles. Equally as authentic as our dishes in the past but now exactly what you find now days in a restaurant in Italy. So I again thank you , for your review and hope you return to enjoy the modern authentic up to date flavours of Italy .
Tauranga
“Not a good night”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I couldn't decide whether to write this review or not as our experience at this restaurant was such a bad one. We were a group of six and probably the restaurant should not have taken our booking as they already had two larger groups booked in. Service was very slow and not helped by the fact that staff forgot to enter our meal order into the computer! We did speak to the maître d' about our bad experience.

• Visited April 2013
Enz023, Owner at Trattoria alla Toscana, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I’m Kim, owner of Trattoria. I was deeply concerned to read about your experience at our restaurant on that night, when unfortunately we ourselves were away overseas. Firstly I would like to express my sincere apologies. Serving great food is our passion, and as owner-operators we are normally on-site to welcome and serve our customers. We have investigated the incident with our staff, and they too are really disappointed and apologetic for what happened on the night. It turns out there was a combined number of errors on the part of our restaurant – including the printer sending orders to the kitchen was not working properly (this has now been fixed), our temporary waitress being overwhelmed by the sudden arrival of a group booking of 16 people at the same time as your no-less important booking for two. Communications broke down at our end, and we have taken due steps to ensure there is never a repeat of this unexpectedly poor level of service – whether or not, we as owner-operators are on-site (as we usually are) or not. However we had a Christing of which I had been selected to be God Mother. Followed by a family wedding.

I hope that you will consider coming back to give us another chance, as we care passionately about providing a great eating experience to all of our customers.
Kind regards Kim
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Fabulous fresh food”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Recommended by our motel hosts and they were able to accommodate us at short notice. Extensive menu of Italian favourites and they were happy to adjust the meals according to our dietary preferences. I ordered fettuccine with seafood which was the freshest and tastiest I've ever had. My companions were equally impressed by their vegetarian selections. We also had profiteroles for dessert which were delicious and well presented. Service was excellent and fast considering the restaurant was full. Overall an extremely satisfying experience and will recommend to anyone who goes to Napier

Visited April 2013
Maitland, Australia
“Very Good Italian Food”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was an authentic Italian restaurant and the food was great. We would have gone back again if we had more time in Napier. We will definitely go back if ever in Napier again.

• Visited March 2013