“Great if you dont have time for winery tour”
Review of New Zealand Wine Centre - CLOSED

New Zealand Wine Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: The New Zealand Wine Centre is one of Napier's Must-Do attractions. It is truly a wine lovers paradise or a good place to start to experience all about Hawke's Bay wines. The Hawke's Bay wine country has a lot to offer and produces great wines - the New Zealand Wine Centre makes it easy for everyone to learn, taste and enjoy great wines. Choose from over six different tasting options, go on a virtual scenic flight over the Bay or watch the History of Napier Film. As another little extra, the New Zealand Wine Centre is located in the iconic AMP building, a must-see for Art Deco Lovers.
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The aroma room was really such a novel and good idea. I was made to feel really welcome and tasted some fanatastic wines

All reviews
in 9 reviews
in 14 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have been to vineyards before and wanted to try something different especially as Napier is famous for thier wines!!! The wine tasting and aroma experience session for white wines (you can do red wines by themeselves or do the white and red experience combined) was reasonably priced at around $25NZD per person. Out of this you got a history of wine tasting and your own tour guide, then after the video and Q&A session was complete you got moved on to the aroma room, were our guide Karl was informative, knowledgable and helpful. He then left us to it to smell all 54 aromas, plus more natural ones. Here you got to find out which smells you loved and see which wines they were associated with, which provided a pattern and at time susrprising results.
Next we were ushered into the tasting room, were we virtually got taken round 6 vineyards of the Hawkes bay region and also got to taste the wines and rate. Again Karl answerewd all questions and explained about the different vineyards.
The best bit was making a purchase. I decided i wanted to try and buy Hawkes bay Sauvingion Blanc. I picked up a bottle priced $19.50 and Karl stated after listening to what I liked that I would hate this wine and told me to try another which was $5 cheaper. He said he knew he was losing $5 but rather i went away enjoying the wine of the region than having a bad experience. I found this to be so honest of him and helpful.
Recommend this place without a doubt. Karl was absolutely brilliant and the other staff were also helpful and friendly. The other benefit is that you dont have to be a wine conisseur to enjoy this experience, beginners will find it useful and helpful.

1  Thank Kayleigh M
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The building is in many ways more architecturally interesting than the wines, which can be better sampled at the wines without all the kitsch.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Karl was a great "tour guide" to the wines of NZ. Very friendly and helpful with the wine tastings. We did a white wine tasting of 5-6 wines and when finished, were offered a complimentary tasting of some reds that a different couple were tasting.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 10, 2012

It was a Monday, 10am, middle of winter and I had been granted a whole one hour child free so I decided to pay the Wine Centre a visit. Obviously at this time of day the place had only just opened and was deserted but the staff were exceptionally friendly and accommodating. I honestly thought that they would tell me I would have to wait for a group of people but I got my wine tasting experience all to myself.
Karl led me to a room for a short presentation before showing me to the smelling room. He was exceptionally knowledgable and I learnt a great deal about smelling wine and how important it was to the taste. I soon learned that those wines I didn't so much like was due to the aromas I didn't like!
I was then lead to the tasting room where half a dozen white wines were waiting for me and I went on a virtual tour to some local wineries. Afterwards my child and mother joined me and we watched a very enlightening short movie about the Napier earthquake, then I purchased a gorgeous bottle of sav I had just tried.
I certainly expected to try more wines from each winery rather than just one from each, but having said that a couple of the wineries were a bit out of my way that I wasn't planning on visiting but due to the presentation and trial I decided to venture out and was more than rewarded for my troubles!
I learned a lot in my short time here and it enhanced my wine tasting experiences at the local wineries I visited afterwards.