“Good value for money”

Cuisines: Diner
Kakanui, New Zealand
“Good value for money”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stopped for a quick lunchtime snack - coffee and a pie for $7.50 - good value for money. Large selection of pies to choose from and even gluten free versions.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank DanieWigzell

Napier, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Pies for lunch with great coffee”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in a hurry during a lunch break on a work day, was very surprised with the lovely lady who served me and made my coffee. Set in Napier's CBD it had outside seating and I would recommend for a quick and tasty lunch. Coffee was excellent.

Visited February 2013
Napier, New Zealand
“Not like Mum used to make!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very wide choice of fillings, but pretty ordinary and a bit expensive. Pastry somewhat soggy and too much gravy with not enough meat.

Visited November 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Delicious pie at reasonable price”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I came across this when feeling a little hungry, I was not disappointed with my find, the price was ok for NZ, and they delivered good flavor. I get to sit down and watch the world go by in one of the most charming spot in town. Nice experience indeed!

Visited May 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Service above and beyond ...”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Jesters Pies is an Australia-based franchise making its way into the New Zealand market. The Napier franchise is well situated in the heart of the city and offers a very pleasant aspect, with a clean, colourful interior and tables outside in the mall.

The menu is typical of the "new breed" of Aussie/NZ fast food cuisine - clever and tasty variations on traditional fare. I remember when pies basically came into two varieties - mince and apple. How times have changed ...

I tried the "Russian Roulette", which is a tasty beef stroganoff pie; I also liked the sound of the Maharaja (an Indian style butter chicken pie) and the Mother Hubbard, which is a smoked salmon pie with cream and dill sauce, creamed spinach and Hollandaise. I'll definitely try the Maharaja next time. I don't know how they do it, but their pastry pie crusts are absolutely perfect, soft, flaky and buttery - very nice indeed.

I also want to mention that I had about an hour to get to the local airport, but couldn't pay for a cab because I'd just realised that I'd lost my wallet. I returned to the Jesters store hoping I'd left it there. It was nowhere to be found, but the store owner's mother, who was working there at the time, listened to my tale of woe and then insisted on driving me to the airport to catch my plane! It's not everyone who would do that for a customer. Fortunately, my wallet was found and safely returned three days later.

• Visited April 2011