“Spooky and interesting”

$19.98*
Mount Maunganui Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #16 of 33 Tours in Napier
More attraction details
Owner description: Listen to a 50 minute self-guided audio tour while inspecting the vacant prison cells and deserted exercise yard. You will learn the history of the oldest prison in New Zealand and experience what doing time was all about. Feel the oppressive atmosphere of the hanging garden, the solitary confinement and the death row cells. Hear the tales of the Australasia’s richest drug baron; escape attempts, the Eye eater, hangman’s gallows and much more. Audio guide tours allow you to take your time and read extra information along the way. Family entertainment is guaranteed with plenty of photo opportunities including mug shots and an opportunity to create life-long memories through our Souvenir Shop Napier Prison has also been featured on Ghost Hunters International where unexplainable activities were investigated. is also one totally haunted attraction. We invite you to experience your own Ghost Hunt learning from our paranormal experts how to use the ghost equipment, take great photographs and recognize paranormal activity. We provide our guests ample time to use our "Ghost Hunting" devices.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A must do! Great audio tours with lots of options available. Really interesting place for the history. Kids enjoyed it too. 11 year old had nightmares, 9 year old wanted more! Did the ghost tour during the day and that was eerie. Night ghost tours would be unbelievably scary, I would imagine. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Kinuck

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We did the audio tour which entails you carrying around listening to a remote control looking device, cost was $50 which is way too expensive on the up side it was slightly interesting if not slightly weird

Reviewed December 10, 2012

My significant other did the ghost tour while I did the history tour,so that we could share the most important bits with each other. While I found the guide useful, I would've wanted to see that they expanded some of the chapters, which at times were a little too brief, I felt, and what really sets this attraction apart from other attractions in NZ is the atmosphere of the place. Staring down the corridors, learning about its history, and getting a glimpse of life in prison really makes this place worth visiting. Doing the self audio tour can be a little creepy, but it's part of the attraction, isn't it?We paid $20 each to do the tour, which I think is just about as much as this is worth really, so the price is fair (at least it was at the time of our visit).

1  Thank 496timd
Reviewed December 6, 2012

It's quite creepy when you tour this place alone and few other guests around. I am interested in those graffiti of Gangs. They are really talented,I have to say. With the audio tour, you will learn so much about this old prison, including the history of Napier, earthquake and some famous prisoners' stories etc. It's not too big prison but Its quite well-equipped.

I heard they offer ghost tour at night. Some ghosts would show up. You need to book ahead of the time though. Anyway,highly recommended!

5  Thank Fan R
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Very interesting place to visit, well worth the money.
Very informative and helpful staff.
Not brave enough to do the ghost tour