“Fun family adventure on the Mohaka River”
Review of Mohaka Rafting

Mohaka Rafting
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mohaka Rafting is situated at Napier in Hawkes Bay, North Island, New Zealand provides day and multi-day trips on grade 2, 3, and Grade 5 water. Grade 2 is for young families. The full day grade 3 is our most popular trip - cliff jumps, gorges, and canyons, visit a gold mine and swim rapids in a full day adventure. The Grade 5 is for serious rafters. All have awesome scenery. Rafting expeditions; Helicopter in - raft out through the Kaweka Forest Park over 3 or 4 days. Camp at thermal pools, float, swim, cliff jump, or sit back and relax your way back to our base.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Spent the day rafting the Grade 3 rapids on the Mohaka River with our 3 kids aged 15, 13 & 11. Superb day out for the family, just enough adventure while still feeling safe. We got to see cave wetas, jump off cliffs, negotiate the rapids and all with an ongoing commentary from our knowledgeable guide. There's a Grade 4/5 trip for the thrill seekers (aged 16 & up). Couldn't recommend this experience highly enough. Thanks mohakarafting.co.nz
AWESOME!!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

The both of us are experienced kayakists and rafting always seemed boring to me. However I learned different and we had a truly great day on the water. The guides did a great job by all means: giving instructions, telling stories and being sensitive for the needs of everyone aboard the raft - or overboard...
Our daytour included grade 3 rapids, great views you could access only by boat or foot, a cool exploration of a former goldmine (nothing big, but interresting), swimming in the river and rapids and cool cliff-jumps.
The best thing to do on your way from Napier to Taupo!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Owesome with an "Ö" wooohooo!!! lol

We did the grade 3 rafting 3 weeks ago. It was an amazing experience. There were few rough areas in the river which made the trip exciting. The guide, Norm, was very calm specially on the big wavy and rocky bits. He also kept us inform about the history and explained the rock layers. The view was great too. The photos didnt do the great views justice.... Oh and Mohaka cd photos are FREE!!! how great is that?!

I could say that grade 3 is something that anyone of any fitness can do. We were with young teenagers when we did it. Most of the trip the river was calm and that was the time to enjoy the view. There were few rough parts but Norm is very good at stirring the boat that you dont need to do much but he also tell you to paddle when needed. There were some crazy parts but the guide is well experienced so you would feel that you are in good hands --- but of course you have to do your part as well.... and hold on!!

I loved the experience and I am definitely going back to do the grade 5. (need more annual leaves huhuhu)

I counted my bruises and I found 4 big ones :) ... for that I give it 4 stars... I'll give the 5th star after I do the grade 5 hehe!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our work team did a 4 hour trip on the grade 3 section. Loved it! Want to go back and do the harder stuff. Their team were fantastic and thoroughly recommend

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I rafted with Norm and his crew around January last year.. What a great experience.. not only is the river scenically amazing but for novice rafters like we are, a great adrenaline rush. The grade 5 section of the mohaka offered us a serious rapid first up and then lots of fun grade 3's amoungst really cool limestone boulders. The guides couldn't have treated us with more respect and we were completely confident in their ability as guides. I have rafted with a few companies before and found the gear to be not that great. Norm's gear was practically brand new.. no holes in the wetsuit bums for us!! In addition we had a great little lady called Marilyn to drive us to and from the river.. If you get to talk to her you will soon realise she is a tough little lady with some amazing experiences.
On the whole I would rate rafting the Mohaka grade 5 section as one of those must do activities in the north island. We also tramped the tongariro crossing the following day and then did some fly fishing and had the time of our lives.. This is the experience to do in the north island!

2  Thank John R