“Table for three”

Hunterville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Table for three”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Friendly staff nice welcome good wine list ,the menu was interesting ,we were told that it was new.
How ever the meals were disappointing,one portion of venison was under cooked that it was impossible to get a knife through it,the pork belly was very tender but the crackle again was unable to be cut ,and the salad which was described as a garden salad consisted of mesclun stalks.
No one approached us while we were eating to check on our meals, when our plates were collected and the venison mentioned we were told it was meant to be rare .The waiter said he would speak to the chief ,there was no apology or acknowledgement of our complaint.
Napier is a fast growing tourist area well know for it food and wine experiences ,it would be sad to think that other visitors were were as disappointed as we were

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Janice H

Napier, New Zealand
“Fantastic food and great service”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Arrived at 8pm on a Sunday night (as it wasn't our initial first choice). Greeted warmly by a young guy who seated us promptly. Water and menu's arrived quickly. Our meals were fabulous, particularly more so because my partner is dairy free and eating out can sometimes be difficult. the staff/ chef were vry helpful and even pointed out that she was unable to eat my entree (when she tried to sample it.!) We had pork/ rib eye as mains and both found them both perfect in flavour and steak was cooked to perfection. We wouldn't hesitate to eat here again or recommend to others. Great value food and great service. Thanks again.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank adventureguyNZ
Auckland
“Poor Service let down the experience”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been here many times before and enjoyed the wonderful food and service. So I could not wait to come back again. Prebooked this time and arrived on time. Was shown to a small table right in the way of the draft of the door, even though others were empty, As I had been ill we asked to be moved out of the draft. The waitress was clearly very cross. We were then left for 15 minutes, no order no drinks while she checked if we could move. She happily served others, even newcomers. We were eventually shown to a new table just before we left and we were asked for our drinks order as we stood to change tables. Once seated we were sarcastically asked if the table suited us. We were never offered more drinks and the waitress could not assist on the menu, she said I don't know and stood there. Food was good but the poor service just ruined the night. Left and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee. Such a shame for a restaurant with good food.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jill G
Foxfood, Owner at Fox on the Quay, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am terribly sorry to hear about your poor service. The staff member in question has since moved on. Unfortunatly you where not the only one to have a bad experiance with her. I do hope you will try us again.
Many Thanks
Heather Fox
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Venue, service, food, faultless. A quiet Sunday evening but business a usual. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening with my partner. Food delish! Thank you

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Adrienne F
Napier, New Zealand
“Nice, but was it nice enough??”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant. We booked in for 6 o'clock and arrived about 5 minutes early. We were given the menu and left to contemplate.

The waiter returned about 5 minutes or less later and said he could take our drinks order but not our food order as the kitchen was not open yet. True, there was no one in the kitchen. About another 5 to 7 minutes later some guys in whites were in the kitchen. I wondered what they had been doing! Most odd that they weren't in the kitchen before service I thought.

Our food order was taken not long of the kitchen staff being sighted.

Starters -
This dish looked very presentable and nice.
I had the aubergine and goats cheese ravioli with tomatoe and herb sauce, with wilted spinach,shaved parmesan and fresh basil. I could not see nor taste the basil. I could not tastes the goat cheese or any seasoning at all.

My main was grilled pork sirloin with apple mayo, roasted potatoes, pan flashed beans with a date and roast shallot compote and thyme jus. Again the meal was presented really well.
It did taste nice but again lack freshness and seasoning. The beans were indeed flashed fried in a pan, but no flavour or seasoning, they would had been nice if done in a grill pan.

My partner had the rib eye steak and his potatoes were described as "roasted baby potatoes" . The potatoes were exactly the same in both dishes. My partner's dishes lacked a little "omph" as well and seasoning.

Neither dish had any sign or taste of fresh herbs.

I had the creme brulee for dessert and it was very very nice. It was Bailey's Creme Brulee and you could taste the Bailey's in it and the sugar was melted to perfection, no complaints there.

So to sum up, it was a nice restaurant. Funny kitchen hours. Food was "nice", not outstanding in my view. The waiter and waitress were pleasant and helpful.
Price of my pork was $31NZ , price of the scotch fillet was $35NZ. These prices are now average of Napier/ Hastings restaurants if they are good enough, which this restaurant does cover but not fully on this occasion.

• Visited April 2013