“Poor Service let down the experience”
Review of Fox on the Quay - CLOSED

Fox on the Quay
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Auckland
“Poor Service let down the experience”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been here many times before and enjoyed the wonderful food and service. So I could not wait to come back again. Prebooked this time and arrived on time. Was shown to a small table right in the way of the draft of the door, even though others were empty, As I had been ill we asked to be moved out of the draft. The waitress was clearly very cross. We were then left for 15 minutes, no order no drinks while she checked if we could move. She happily served others, even newcomers. We were eventually shown to a new table just before we left and we were asked for our drinks order as we stood to change tables. Once seated we were sarcastically asked if the table suited us. We were never offered more drinks and the waitress could not assist on the menu, she said I don't know and stood there. Food was good but the poor service just ruined the night. Left and went elsewhere for dessert and coffee. Such a shame for a restaurant with good food.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jill G
Foxfood, Owner at Fox on the Quay, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am terribly sorry to hear about your poor service. The staff member in question has since moved on. Unfortunatly you where not the only one to have a bad experiance with her. I do hope you will try us again.
Many Thanks
Heather Fox

“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Venue, service, food, faultless. A quiet Sunday evening but business a usual. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening with my partner. Food delish! Thank you

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Adrienne F
Napier, New Zealand
“Nice, but was it nice enough??”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant. We booked in for 6 o'clock and arrived about 5 minutes early. We were given the menu and left to contemplate.

The waiter returned about 5 minutes or less later and said he could take our drinks order but not our food order as the kitchen was not open yet. True, there was no one in the kitchen. About another 5 to 7 minutes later some guys in whites were in the kitchen. I wondered what they had been doing! Most odd that they weren't in the kitchen before service I thought.

Our food order was taken not long of the kitchen staff being sighted.

Starters -
This dish looked very presentable and nice.
I had the aubergine and goats cheese ravioli with tomatoe and herb sauce, with wilted spinach,shaved parmesan and fresh basil. I could not see nor taste the basil. I could not tastes the goat cheese or any seasoning at all.

My main was grilled pork sirloin with apple mayo, roasted potatoes, pan flashed beans with a date and roast shallot compote and thyme jus. Again the meal was presented really well.
It did taste nice but again lack freshness and seasoning. The beans were indeed flashed fried in a pan, but no flavour or seasoning, they would had been nice if done in a grill pan.

My partner had the rib eye steak and his potatoes were described as "roasted baby potatoes" . The potatoes were exactly the same in both dishes. My partner's dishes lacked a little "omph" as well and seasoning.

Neither dish had any sign or taste of fresh herbs.

I had the creme brulee for dessert and it was very very nice. It was Bailey's Creme Brulee and you could taste the Bailey's in it and the sugar was melted to perfection, no complaints there.

So to sum up, it was a nice restaurant. Funny kitchen hours. Food was "nice", not outstanding in my view. The waiter and waitress were pleasant and helpful.
Price of my pork was $31NZ , price of the scotch fillet was $35NZ. These prices are now average of Napier/ Hastings restaurants if they are good enough, which this restaurant does cover but not fully on this occasion.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank kiwixp
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decadent Dining”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Every dish a sensation on the palate. Decadent dining. My only complaint was the girl who was waiting on our table. She was sour, unfriendly and treated us like we were a niusanse. Still worth it for the food!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank PAMELA H
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Gangster Breakfast Burritos!!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We have had a hankering for some breakfast burritos since we have moved to NZ and this place made some amazing ones. Love how they were so full of goodness that they couldn't close them and had to use a tooth pick! Tortillas were amazing which is clutch. Just wish they opened a bit earlier and had cholula instead of Tabasco.