“Excellent Venue, great meal”

Emporium Eatery & Bar
Ranked #8 of 215 Restaurants in Napier
Cuisines: International, Bar, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Open 7 days from 7am to 11 pm Emporium is the award winning bar and restaurant at Art Deco Masonic Hotel, in buzzing inner city Napier. Emporium has a truly unique look and feel mixing the modern with the classic, to create a very special atmosphere in this iconic heritage building. Emporium isn’t just a bar, and it’s more than an exciting restaurant, it’s a meeting place. With a contemporary menu and the most extensive beverage list around, Emporium is just the spot to gather friends, family or colleagues to enjoy the finest in Hawke’s Bay hospitality. Ideal for functions, Emporium has optional group spaces available – including Poet’s Corner, a private space overlooking bustling Tennyson Street and picturesque Marine Parade. Enjoy long, leisurely breakfasts, lunches and dinners, or delicious all-day grazing with a glass of fine wine or a cocktail or beer from our impressive collection.
Reviewed May 11, 2011

My wife and I along with 2 friends tried The MED Bistro and Bar for Lunch last week.

We found the young waitress to be very friendly, polite and efficient. We chose meals from the "Winter Warmer" menu and we were all impressed.

They were well presented and very tasty.

We will certainly be back and have no hesitation in recommending it

Write a ReviewReviews (1,170)

Reviewed April 3, 2011

We chose Med Bar because it looked busy (which is always a good sign) and the menu was quite appealing.
Firstly, the service was fantastic. Although the restaurant was fully booked, the staff were always checking everything was alright without being too full on.
We started with bread and dips which kept the hunger at bay until our mains arrived. I ordered the beef which was well presented and cooked to perfection. My partner had the duck which he said was the best he's ever had and again, the presentation was great. Both meals were just the right size so we didnt over eat but we were still satisfied.
We couldnt look past the dessert menu so we shared the chocolate mousse which was amazing!!!
I would recommend this place to anyone and will definitely be returning.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

We went here unexpectedly when our hotel restaurant was closed on a Sunday night. I'm glad we came across this restaurant as the meal was great. It was the first week of their new menu and we were impressed. The food was delicious and not the 'normal' dishes that you get over again at other restaurants. The presentation of the meals was really good as well. I recomment the financier for desssert!

Reviewed October 1, 2009

Having the restaurant recommended to us as one of the best in town my wife her friend and I were looking forward to a nice meal. We arrived on a Monday evening at around 6.45 pm with only three other tables occupied so were expecting reasonably prompt service. Certainly we did get our orders taken and have our wines delivered promptly. However that was where the service finished. During the next 90 minutes 5 other tables were filled with between 2 & 4 persons. They are gave their orders and were served in a timely manner. We still waited patiently for our meals. By 7.30 pm we did call over a waiter to find out when our order would be delivered. He returned with the answer “it was coming out now”. This was repeated twice more over the next 30 minutes but still no food arrived. My wife then went up to the counter and inquired on what the delay was only to be told “it was coming out now”. By 8.20 pm I wanted to leave the restaurant but the waiter did bring out the meal. My steak was not medium well done as I requested but was medium rare but I was not game to return it after the wait. My wife had fish of the day which was excessive salty and quite unpleasant to eat. Our friend had the lamb chops which she was happy with but found three small chops not too filling.

All in all we found the experience a very poor start to our holiday in Napier. The following two days we have meals in a number of other restaurants in Napier and found them to be excellent quality and more important very good service. MED is a very expensive pretentious establishment that lets the restaurant business down.

Reviewed February 19, 2009

December 30, 2008 my wife and I along with two friends dined at the Med Wine Bar & Bistro. We had just arrived in town and when we found the restaurant, it was quite busy, to their credit, they fit us in rather quickly
I had the Prime Steer Eye Filet Chargrilled which was fantastic. I could almost cut it with my fork, cooked to perfection. My wife had the Fish of the Day, Chef's Selection, she sais it was fabulous. Our two friends had Rollo Pollo-Chicken Breast Stuffed, they told me it was excellent. We all had the Calarmari Curls Polenta Crusted and Freshly Baked Bread for an entrees.I have a restaurant on Cape Cod Massachusetts, I serve Calarmari but nowhere near as good as this.
Chef Cliff, Jules, our waitress, and Nareesh the manager could not have been more accommodating, more professional, and more thoughtful. The chef even showed me how he prepared the meat and the Calamari! Clearly they far exceeded our expectations in every way. Med Wine Bar & Bistro is a must when in Napier.