“We loved Napier thanks to our Tour Guide”

Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd
$69.72*
Half-Day Wine and Beer Tour from Napier
Ranked #9 of 27 Food & Drink in Napier
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a family owned and operated Local Tour company. We specialize in private local tours, including Cruise Ship Shore Excursions. These tours offer Sightseeing, Art Deco, City history, also Wine and Brewery Tours. This is truly a fantastic region to visit. Napier was completely destroyed in 1931 by a 7.8 earthquake, and rebuilt in the style of the day, mainly Art Deco and Spanish Mission. Napier, along with the Hawkes Bay region, has been a secret for too long, discover it today with us.
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Our Winery and Scenic Tour was with our well informed and knowledgeable Guide Margaret. We had the most fabulous time and never felt rushed at all, despite having a deadline to make it back on time to board our Cruiseship. So much was accomplished and etched in our memories forever. We highly recommend you taking a tour with Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours and one thing we know, we will be back to Napier for sure. Great Guide....Interesting History....Breathtaking Scenery....Delightful Wineries and Amazing Art Deco....Thank you Maggie for our tour, Steve & Lyn

1  Thank Steve A
Johnboy0123, Owner at Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you Steve and Lyn for your kind words. Hawkes Bay is a lovely place to visit and I am pleased to know that you have gone home with very fond memories of your day in the Bay. I am proud of our city and I do love to show it off to its best. Lovely wineries, lovely Art Deco, lovely cafes and more. Look forward to seeing you again.......yes your room is waiting for your next visit!
Kind regards
Margaret (Maggie)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Thanks to John we had the most wonderful day in Napier. We were traveling on a Cruise ship and the tours are very expensive. We also had 2 elderly ladies with us so it was a challenge getting them on and off the ship as the ship stuffed up our disability request.
Thankfully John was there to meet us at the end of gangway and off we went for a great our of the region and all the knowledge and history of this beautiful area you could ever want. The Scenery was spectacular , the ice cream and the coffee shop was amazing and the knowledge he had of the art deco era and the buildings was exceptional.
We all had a great day and it was made so much easier by John I would recommend this tour to anyone . Also it only takes a maximum of 6 so it was not crowded. Thank you again.
Cheers bill

2  Thank bill b
Johnboy12321, Owner at Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thanks bill b for your very nice comments. We treat all our clients in a manner to encourage them to visit again. There is so much to see and do here in the Hawkes Bay. I am glad you were all satisfied.. it was a great day out. Regards. John

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I took the Whirlwind Tour, just an hour or so after 26 hours of travelling - but John was an excellent guide, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, jet-lag notwithstanding!
Also, it had been hard for me to find a tour in Napier because I was travelling solo in NZ, but John had been helpful and accommodating from the start. I really appreciated that.
John was bang on time picking me up, and I found the photos in the folder he'd prepared to be really helpful as an introduction to the tour, and to making sense of all the different places we saw. All the sites we went to were far more than just 'photo opps', as John had interesting information about each and every one, and related them all to his story about Napier's development after the horror of the earthquake. I saw some lovely sites, found John a great guide and entertaining company, and also found a couple of places I wanted to go back to when I had more time (also it was good to have the art deco windows pointd out to me, so I knew which areas of town to focus on for that sort of thing at my leisure). So all in all it was a fantastic tour. This was only added to when the last couple of stops were very much tailored to my interests, which I also really appreciated. Would recommend this tour - and this tour operator - to anyone wanting to learn more about Napier, and looking for a highly professional but fun tour. Brillaint introduction to Napier. Excellent guide!

1  Thank TankGrrrl
Johnboy12321, Owner at Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Hi TankGrrrl, Thank you for your kind words.... I (and Margaret) have the attitude that you have spent a lot of time and money to visit or part of the world, and we do our very best to show you the best that Napier has to offer on all of our tours. When you are happy, we know we have done our job correctly. Thank you again. Margaret and I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband and I joined the Hawkes Bay Scenic Tour with several couples from the cruise boat in port (we were not on the cruise ship). John gave us a super tour of Napier and the surrounding areas of Hastings coupled with many historic details of the earthquake in the 30s. My husband has difficulty hearing but no problem with John's commentary. I would highly recommend this tour.

2  Thank curranstreet

Hi curranstreet and thank you for your comments. I am glad you made those comments, it just shows that the our tours are well received for both travellers and cruisers alike. We as you know are flexible and can generally work in with local and cruise travellers alike on the day. Kind Regards, John

Reviewed December 7, 2012

John's wife took us on the tour in a 12 passenger van that John had to rent so that we could join them (normally only a 9 passenger van). Napier was mostly destroyed by an EQ in the early 30's, so the town decided to rebuild in art deco which is very interesting. We then went out to the wine country which is very extensive. The 3 wineries and 1 beermaker were excellent and we brought home (and drank on the ship) several bottles. John's wife was very knowledgeable of local history, and answered all our questions. We prefer small tours as opposed to the expensive "big bus" ship tours, so that we can ask questions and get to know the native people. I would highly recommend this tour. It was a the highlight bof ourt visit to New Zealand.

Chuck and Dee Harbert
Redmond WA, USA

1  Thank Chuck H
Johnboy12321, Owner at Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Good morning Chuck H. As you know, we offer a sightseeing and a as a second tour a wine and brewery tour on ship days. You chose the wine and brewery option and this also includes the Napier City tour and all the Cities famous Art Deco. Maggie was very pleased to receive more great feedback as she really is passionate about what she does. Thank you.