“Excellent food in an authentic restaurant.”

The Original Thai Restaurant
Ranked #118 of 384 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We were staying at the Novotel and ducked across the road for a quick meal on a Friday evening. Two dishes, a glass of wine and a glass of ginger beer cost $67.00 which we thought pretty reasonable. The two staff members looked like a husband and wife team who both greeted us with smiles and served us promptly. It is difficult comparing Thai dishes in Thailand with the same dishes in NZ because the ingredients are not always of the same quality particularly the meat. Spices are sometimes used differently too to suit local tastes but having eaten many times in Thailand these dishes tasted authentic and better and were most tasty indeed. This was a very good meal and if we are in Hamilton again and with more time to have a longer and more relaxed meal we would definitely eat here at some stage of our visit.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This local place is my favorite. It's not even close, being born and raised in San Diego they had a lot to living up to. I must say though, from taste, freshness, and price it doesn't get much better than here even the "fancy" sit down Thai places in California. I was away for work training for three months in Arizona and all I could think about was eating here again! They are friendly and great people as well......I only wish I could give more then five stars.

-Sam

1  Thank chorkroiz
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have been quite a few times to The Original Thai and are consistently impressed. We have our favourites- number 18 Pad Ped which is a red curry- it is absolutely deliciously tasty and creamy. The chicken satay skewers as an entree are always good; but our favourite is the original thai duck .OMG it is divine! It is a large helping with lovely crispy skin, a delicious sauce on the side and amazing veges. If we go with a large group we always order the volcano chicken which is a whole chicken that comes to the table lit on fire. Our favourite dessert is the banana fritters which are coated in a coconut batter.
Honestly I cannot fault this place- the service is incredibly fast, the staff lovely and friendly and the food amazing. I am counting the days til I visit again.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Fantastic little restaurant, always have the best authentic Thai food and the service is great. I'm a huge fan of the Red Curry and my partner, who's a little less adventurous with his meals loves the Honey Duck. It's also BYO, so we often take a bottle or two of wine in to enjoy. The only downside I've ever found is that it can be a little cramped when you book a large table with lots of people.

I live and work in Hamilton, and this continues to be one of the best restaurants!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Decor is a bit dated and seating was a bit tight (there was a large group in), but the food was good and service was friendly. Not the cheapest meal but worth it, we ordered duck and it was so much we took over half home (too nice to leave).
We will go back.