“"Perfect"”

EM>BAR>GO
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I like to have lunch here and watch the world go by. The views on Garden Square on a sunny day perfect also my meals and the service perfect.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

My husband and I came here with two other couples and we had a lovely evening. Everyone agreed the food was beautiful. Service is great. One couple had not been here before but said they'd definitely be back. The other couple also consider it to be one of their favourites too.

I always feel full when I leave Embargo, and I never feel like I've been ripped off.

Definitely my favourite restaurant in Hamilton.

Would love Embargo to open out Rototuna area - think it'd be a great spot for a great restaurant!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

On a quick visit to Hamilton we saw this restaurant and externally it appeared modern and inviting.
Service was swift, however we found it more of a cafe type environment from the chairs and tables and ambience. We both had salads both covered in cheese which surprised us? Disappointingly average we thought, not living up to it's first appearance and title.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Dined here last Friday night. Loved the decor, service was friendly and welcoming. Food was absolutely delicious. I had the venison, husband had lamb rack. Both dishes were cooked to perfection and very flavoursome, plated appealingly. Dessert menu was awesome...recommend the passionfruit panna cotta and the chocolate moulleux, both were outstanding. Coffee was good too. Will return soon to try the other tempting menu items! Restaurant looks out over Garden Place, which was "entertaining" on a Friday night, but didn't detract from our enjoyment of our night out. This restaurant also does theme nights, with wine matching...next one is in June, French food and wine :-)

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Went to Embargo on an impromptu date night, and the team there smashed it out of the park.

Great range of wines, beers and ciders - nice to see a few independent options away from the normal DB and Lion offerings.

We shared the Kara-Age chicken and Beef Carparccio as starters. The chicken was tender and juicy with a light crumb and came with some pickled cucumber. The two flavours and textures were a great match. The carpaccio was equally as good - melt in the mouth texture and well seasoned.

For mains the lady had the lamb rack and I had the venison. I cannot attest to the taste of the lamb dish because it was finished so quickly... It looked really good though. The venison was amazing - rare and juicy with roast baby beetroot and roasted potatoes. The red cabbage reduction was sweet and slightly tart and went perfectly with the venison.

The only miss on an otherwise excellent meal was the service. By no means poor, it could have been slightly more attentive and we waited about 15 minutes too long for a second round of drinks. The staff member obviously realised this and apologised for his absence at the point of payment - good on him.

In conclusion: one of Hamilton's best dining experiences and thoroughly worth a try. I'll be back to try the pork and the Hereford eye fillet very soon.