“Was an ok stay for one night” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ibis Hamilton Tainui
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Hamilton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Was an ok stay for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Check in staff was not overly helpful and the set up to get to reception is really weird. You walk in and then either go up stairs or in the lift up one level to get to reception.

The room was nice and tidy but the TV was tiny so we didn't bother using it at all as you could barely see anything from the beds. We used the stairwell as we were only 2 floors up however again a weird setup as you can only exit the stairwells on level 1 or ground; you can't walk up them to your floor. They were also really dirty and had a bad smell in them.

The Valet parking was full so we were told to park at Skycity down the way a bit and we would get a validated price of NZD15.00 for a nights parking. I was told this was on the basis that we had to leave our car there for the night so once it was parked we were stuck in that area not allowing us to go out and view the city really. Also if you go to the casino they validate the parking ticket for only NZD5.00 so this would be a better option instead.

Overall, I've stayed in worse places but this was definitely not up to the standard of Ibis that I know.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CPorter1, Manager at Ibis Hamilton Tainui, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear CatM22
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui during your recent visit to Hamilton and for taking the time to post your feedback. It is through all feedback that we have the opportunity to improve the service and facilities we offer our guests. It was disappointing to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to comment on a few of the points you have raised. You are correct that the stairwell access does not allow you exit on every floor this is due to our fire safety plan, so in the event of an emergency guest can only exit to safety on the public areas where team members are positioned to assist guests exit the building. Our car-parking at the hotel is limited and we do offer a discounted exit ticket at skycity, however if you choose to spend time & money at the casino you can validate the tickets for less than what we can offer. Again I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations and thank you for sharing your feedback. We hope to welcoming you again in the future,
Ibis Tainui Hamilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I belong to Le Club and found that this did not help when booking the rooms. I called the ibis to book the rooms and was told that the price was around $149.00 per night as they were almost full. I advised them that I could book on the Ibis Website and Wotif for a far cheaper price and I was told “to book on the Website Then”. I was lead to believe that being a member of Le Club guaranteed the cheapest price will be offered???
I found the ibis website difficult to use when booking multiple rooms. There didn’t seem to be a place to put a name against who was staying in the room.
I booked for 5 nights and was put in a room with a queen and a single bed which made the room very cramped.
There is no room service
I had to change rooms due to a broken toilet and when I moved into the new room I realised that the Aircon in my other room was not working correctly.
There always seemed to be confusion by customers when booking in and out.

Staff were always helpful and the location is great I feel that staying at the Ibis for over 5 years it has started to get tired.

Regards

Dean

dean@coastrv.co.nz

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Very comfortable, affordable and centrally located accomodation in Hamilton City. We have stayed here several times and the rooms are always very nicely presented. The onsite bar/resturant with its views over the river is a lovely place to sit and relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Lynda G
Thank you for continuing to stay at Ibis Tainui when you visit Hamilton. I am pleased that you enjoy your visits with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Wanganui, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Firstly the ibis is a very nice modern hotel with clean rooms and good facilities. The day we stayed, however, the service let the team down. We arrived after 11am and our room was not ready. We had committments elsewhere so the receptionist offered to call my mobile when our room was ready. I'm sure she took my number down wrong but got tetchy with me when I tried to confirm this. Subsequently we received no phone about our room being ready. I was told that the hotel would park my car for $20. When we finally got back to the hotel from the convention we were attending, some time around 7 or 8pm, we were told that the valet parking was no longer available for the day and would have to find our own car park in another facility in town. We dealt with two staff and neither were overly friendly or welcoming. I plan to visit Hamilton again soon but will not be staying at the Ibis again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear skiffler
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui and for taking the time to post your feedback. I apologise that the service you received did not meet your expectations. This was disappointing to read as we normally I receive very positive comments on the team’s service levels and efforts. I would appreciate it if you took the time to email directly so I could ensure that your next visit exceeds your expectations. I hope to hear from your soon.
h6690-gm@accor.com
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Easy to find, and handy to everything. Although long waiting times queueing at reception is not what you need after a road trip. Rooms fairly average, quite cramped and more like a hostel. However the restaurant had a lovely outlook and pleasant staff who met our needs gladly and was reasonably priced. However, $20 for valet parking (which isn't mentioned when you book online) and then finding that you have another long wait when you want to leave because the car battery was flat (the valet was the last person in the car!) did not end the stay well. Staff were pleasant but no compensation was offered for our inconvenience. Probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Derryn_14
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologise that your stay did not meet your expectations and that you were inconvenienced with a flat battery, this has been followed up with the team to ensure more care is taken. I would appreciate it if you took the time to email directly so I could investigate further. I hope to hear from your soon.
h6690-gm@accor.com
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a great location but this hotel suffers from the IBIS formula of modular formatted rooms which are small and from a frequent travellers perspective very stereotyped - having said that it is in a great location and if you're not staying long it's a good place to stop over.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Narziss
Thank you for choosing to stay at Ibis Tainui during your recent visit to Hamilton and for taking the time to post your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I really couldn't get to like this hotel no character . Very plastic. Food was ok . We were a group and the waiting staff insisted they supervised when each table could go to the buffet at our age we could have organised ourselves! We only stayed there one night and to be honest I would not have wanted to stay longer

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fran39_12
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I apologise that we did not meet your expectations and I have shared your feedback with the team to ensure improvements are made where possible.