“Just not the Italian food I like”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Portofino

Portofino
Ranked #9 of 359 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Just not the Italian food I like”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have been a frequent Portofino diner for 30 years - the first restaurants opened in Parnell, Auckland in the 80s. Whilst its very much like it was back then, my taste for Italian food has evolved and I want to go beyond Tortellini Alla Panna. I thought it was a little pricey for four of us for lunch and the wait staff were in dire need of some training on service & commmunication - I hate being called "you's".

Visited January 2014

• Korean first
Perth, Australia
“Enjoyable Night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Always nice to come across a good Italian restaurant! Thought the food had good flavour, fresh ingredients. Eye fillet was soft and tender, only it was slightly over cooked. Great decor, modern and stylish! Staff friendly and a great Italian waiter there. Worth a visit.

Visited January 2014
“I'll be back.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

New Years eve was made even more special by dining at Portofino's.
It was really busy, but staff were visably happy, all meals served together and were hot.
The food itself was fab and the price was not rediculous, as it should be for Italian food.
Money has obviously been spent on the furniture also.
Thanks Portofino.

• Visited December 2013
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Stylish restaurant, boring food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were delighted to see such a stylish new restaurant open and we love Italian food. The service was welcoming and the wine list offered some good choices. Although the menu looked appealing, the food was the kind of attempt at Italian you would have seen in 1970. Nowadays we expect more authentic food, fresher ingredients and sharper flavours. My fish was over-cooked and I could barely taste the promised garlic, lemon and herbs. My husband left most of his spaghetti which he said tasted too much like tinned spaghetti. The veal with mushrooms was tasty but the meat was smothered in a thick sauce.
Sadly the food here is not good enough for the venue or the prices. Stodgy with muddles flavours and second rate ingredients.
No wonder we were almost alone in that big space.

• Visited October 2013