“Disappointing Lunch”

Add it.
Pumice & Ember Bistro Cafe & Deli
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great restaurant, good service, not crowded, views, and best of all a great meal.
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Very disappointing meal at the Best Cafe NZ 2013. My meal was the scallop dish, lots of apple ribbons,and a spoon full of greens, cubes of some unidentified material was it vegetable or fruit no one at our table knew. I feel the kitchen staff need to pay more attention to flavours. The scallops did not look very appetising with lots of "brown bits on them."Needless to say I was very disappointed in my meal. The portion were extremely small.Quite pricey for what we were served. This is not the first time I have dined here and on each occasion I have felt let down. Excellent staff and good ambience.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I just love going to eat Pumice in Hamilton. Each time I've eaten there I've always enjoyed the food which comes out so beautifully presented. You don't get a lot but what you do get is of a high quality and delivered with staff who know about the food they are serving you.

1  Thank Noelene S
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was in Hamilton for work and Pumice was recommended by a client, who knew they had just won "Best Café NZ" award for 2013. Went for evening meal with husband and son, we all enjoyed a delicious meal and attentive service. Thoroughly recommend chocolate marquis dessert - so, so GOOD!
Was in Hamilton again for work over the following weekend, and this time my dad also came down with husband and son, so we returned to Pumice. Again, great food - those pork sliders are delish! Only thing I would say is I think they need to spend a little time with their wait staff - our waitress on the first visit was wonderful (and apparently it was her first night), however on our return our waitress was twice asked for details about the wine and said she would check and come back and tell us - she didn't. Plus we didn't really need to know that much information about her dad and his love of rugby. Just little things, and I believe it's lovely when your waitperson is friendly, but it was slightly obtrusive.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Very disappointed with our meal last week. Don't get me wrong - it could have been fantastic but it wasn't.
Our main was barely warm and after just two mouthfuls we advised the waitress that it was not hot. Lamb dinner and duck - so should have been. Our meals were returned to the kitchen and returned, half the meat, and now over cooked. In the meantime another waitress tried to remove our vege sides, assuming we had finished. Waitress told us off for not advising her sooner! We had two mouthfuls only!!!
Very disappointing meal when you are paying a quality price.
Yes, they offered us desserts at their expense, that we would not normally have had. Pity the meal could not have been up to an anticipated quality standard, that I expect from a restaurant of this calibre.
Perhaps they are over rated and over priced??

Reviewed September 18, 2013

The place is modern and full of ceiling to floor glass walls....maybe not that a good idea considered it is located in the middle of an industrial area...
Staff is courteous and take orders without a notebook (is it supposed to be a good thing?) but not much love or attention to details. Water was only poured once on arrival and jug parked on a bench away where we had to go and fetch it ourselves for some more. One teaspoon was grossly dirty....no vinegar polishing here!
Food was ok but my "soft " poached egg wasn't quite that runny and a kiwifruit baked alaska didn't turn out as it was planned...the fruit inside was really still frozen and impossible to eat. Not to mention the "affogato" came with a lovely vanilla ice cream but the espresso to be poured on was cold in a cold little jug!!!
I don't think i will return here....it would be all right for a cafe maybe...but this pretends to be fine dining with price tags to match!