“Great venue for a function”

Smith & McKenzie Steak House
Ranked #35 of 390 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a good venue for a function, with a separate dining area up on the mezzanine floor, although the ambient noise from the bar downstairs is quite loud. The food is very good, the steaks were all cooked to our group's requirements, and the service was attentive and not intrusive. All in all a good experience.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Visited last weekend for my husbands b'day. Has been about a year since last visit which we had quite enjoyed. Cool atmosphere and style, but the food was only average on this occasion. I had the shrimp cocktail which was nicely presented but tasteless, followed by the (very salty) S&P Squid. Couldnt finished due to saltiness and the salad was drowned in oil dressing to the point of swimming. Hubby's med-rare steak was very overcooked - for a steakhouse this is absymal. Espcially given the price of the steak cut alone before adding individual sides for $6 each. I can however recommend the mashed spud and kids macaroni which were both tasty and satisfying. Garden bar had a young chap doing a solo act which was piped through to the main dining area and a wee bit loud. Handy location with parking but with quite a limited menu and this average experience, wont be rushing back.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Regular patron always great service. Popular restaurant with great meals. Nice bar area to have a caual drink

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Are a regular visitor (rather then frequent) of Smith & Mckenzie Chophouse, I have reviewed it before. Over the weekend we went back there and took my mother who is a bit of a food critic and it didn't dissapoint. Great service and great food.

My mother had salt and pepper squid, my wife the pasta and I had fish and chips all were great all were cooked well and tasty and all good servings. We have never been let down by the service there, always friendly efficient and helpful, on the cusp of excellent.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have visited this place about 3 times over a 3 year period, each time hoping they had learnt how to cook a steak, as I am a steak lover.
However each time the steak was over-cooked, I like it rare, but was lucky if there was any pink in sight!
Besides the inability to cook, the cuts themselves were poor, sinew throughout.
I have had mixed levels of service, like so many others I have read, not forthcoming when needing to make up for poor service or more likely, food.
Prices are way to high!!!
One thing I do like is the atmosphere, just a shame they can't find a chef!