Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre
Quest on Ward(Hamilton)
$96
$87
    Ibis Hamilton Tainui(Hamilton)(Great Value!)
    $75
    Agoda.com
    $97
    $94
    Orbitz.com
    All reviewsgym equipmentnew carpetswimming poolgood sizebreakfast includedbeds were comfortablelarge roomplenty of parkingan upgradefree parkingspaaucklandheatercbd
    Reviewed July 4, 2013

My sister and i stayed at this motel, she booked us in and by the looks of the pics on the internet we were looking forward to a great weekend. we checked in not realising that our room was quite the walking distance from the main reception area. We get to the main door leading to our room and we ended up going up a flight of stairs that we had no idea existed. Both my sister and i were unwell walking the stairs did not help. My sister rang the number on a card placed on the desk for a massage and the number was disconnected. I went to have a spa, it was cold, i hopped in the other spa that was luke warm, warm enough for the pregnant lady to hop in. The changing room was not clearly signed. The heat pump must of had dust in it because as soon as it was switched on my sister started coughing and spluttering. My nephew was moved from the other room my sister booked for them to be in because the mtel double booked the room, when my nephew turned on their heatpump it only blew out cold air. Parking is an issue as there is not enough. I wouldnt recommend this motel and my sister and i stay in motels all the time but this is the first time ive written a negative review. Sorry guys.

Room Tip: Internal access to foyer. Make sure your walk isnt to far from main reception.
    • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
    KHamilton, General Manager at Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. Of note we frequently get guests commenting that the air conditioning does not work. It helps if people put it on the heat mode rather than cool and if requested we will always go to the room to show guests how it works. I am at a loss to your comments regarding parking as we have over 300 car parks on the property (free) but acknowledge that these are not all directly in front of the 147 rooms we have.
    I would be very disappointed if were not able to move you rooms closer to reception and the only case I can see that we may not have been able would be if a particular room type (e.g. Triple room or Double/Queen room) was requested.
    My apologies for our shortcomings and hope you are feeling better.
    Please note we are classified as a Hotel and do not provide motel facilities such as kitchenettes etc.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not flash but good value for money and the staff are pleasant. My bed had obviously featured some heavyweights and the mattress will need replacing. A very generous continental breakfast and watched the Lions test on Sky so not a bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
    KHamilton, General Manager at Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you for the comments and glad you enjoyed the Lions beating the Australians in a close fought game. I appreciate the comments regarding the bed as many times it is feedback on these issues and other maintenance issues that do go unnoticed until brought to our attention. Thank you again

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Kingsgate in Hamilton for 1 night 15/6. We were stuck for choice as we forgot it was field days. We had a studio room, which was some what outdated and tired looking. Why put 2 cold high vinyl chairs in the room? Why not some nice comfy fabric ones to sit in to watch t.v, with a small coffee table, instead of a long table which was almost like a classroom table, and another that looked like a school desk, it was somewhat unusual décor. Bathroom was bright lovely and clean. To get access to our room we had to unlock a front door that I likened to a dormitory block, and up 2 flights of stairs through a fire door and then unlock our studio door, all while trying to get our bags through. On a good note the front desk lady was lovely and helpful with directions etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
    KHamilton, General Manager at Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for your comments, the previous chairs in the rooms were cloth and very comfortable but guests repeatedly told us they were old fashioned and as such we changed to what people had suggested we have. The key locks are a security feature of the Hotel as we do not wish external access to the general public. Staff are available, if requested, to help with luggage or alternatively we would be happy to relocate rooms to ground level. Thank you for your constructive comments and where possible we will address the matters raised.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have just returned from a two night stay at the Kingsgate for a work trip (working at the Mystery Creek Fieldays) which was booked through my company. Normally when travelling for leisure and making bookings myself, I look for either a newish property or one with some character.The Kingsgate was neither, but nevertheless it was perfectly acceptable.

The room was large and the bedding and bathroom clean. The air-conditioning/heating unit was quite noisy so I turned it off and the room stayed warm enough. The bar fridge was also noisy - probably on the older side. The shower had good pressure and the bathroom had a good number of fluffy towels and toiletries.

The hotel is a reasonable (ten mins or so) drive back into the city centre. Normally I tend to shy away from hotel restaurants but we were so tired after 12 hours on our feet that we opted for the onsite restaurant rather than the drive. We went for the menu options (although there was an extensive buffet) and my fish meal was delicious.

All in all, this hotel was marginally better than I'd expected from the reviews here. Would I stay again? Possibly not, but if you get a good rate, or you're booked here for work - it is perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room - they are warmer and lighter. Although be aware there are no elevators/lifts if you have a mobility issue.
    • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
    KHamilton, General Manager at Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for a very balanced and well written review. The Hotel was built in 1997 and over the last 12 months had major maintenance projects including re-carpeting throughout, new curtaining, lounge, rooms and restaurant chairs. The corridors and room furniture are in the process of being re-painted and upgraded. Once again thank you for a well written review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 13, 2013

old-fashioned hotel, I could not find better because there was a big event going on. The field days. Everything was fuly bookedl. Breakfast was weak. Staf was friendly and helpfull.
    but I will not come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
    KHamilton, General Manager at Distinction Hamilton Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your comments, it is disappointing that you felt the hotel is old fashioned after all the work that has been done in the last year.

Kind regrads