“Friendly but dirty”

Backpackers Central Hamilton
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of weeks and was appalled to notice the lack of cleanliness in this place. On weekends a number of stag/hen night guests would come in and when they left the room would be in a state that any reasonable person would expect. What I did not expect was to discover that the sheets were changed but the duvets were just moved from one bed to another! In the many weeks I was there they were not washed once! If you're ever unfortunate enough to be placed in the dorm upstairs in the lodge area be mindful of the dirt in the carpeting as that wasn't vacuumed while I was there if I didn't do it.
The manager is friendly and helpful, great attitude!

Room Tip: Go for a dorm with a window downstairs even though it can get cold and draughty in spring/autumn/win...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Dday2046

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hostel itself has the feeling of security and comfort. It is not a hostel for partying as we were told Alcohol and drugs are strictly forbidden. The rooms are nicely laid out, clean carpets, clean sheets, clean bathrooms. All rooms have a keycard access system and there are plenty of video cameras around.

One of the staff helped us plan the next few stops in our journey providing plenty of detailed information about food spots in Rotorua.

The location is fantastic though. It's within walking district of the CBD where there are plenty of restaurants, bars, and activities. I would highly recommend staying here, great value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank shuom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

In my experience you rarely come across a hostel where everything works and is clean. This hostel is the exception. I was almost bummed I was only staying one night because the place was so nice. Clean and working bathroom and kitchen and the beds were comfortable. Convenient location on the free shuttle line and a short walk to the bus terminal, couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank rocketgirlco08
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was extremely happy after a tiring day of travelling to stumble across the Backpackers Central in Hamilton. The staff made me feel very welcome, and they cheerfully helped me out with all my needs. I had a single room with a private bath. It was affordable and clean. I also liked the common area, which was very comfortable and bright. The free internet coupons I received were measured by data transmission. It was enough for email correspondence. The Backpackers is in a central location, and a lot of things are in walking distance. When I left I was treated like a friend. I would definitely go back there in the future. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank digital4me
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I've chosen this hostel because of it's good location and because of the price. The staff is really friendly and helpfull. They really take care of you with providing everything you need for the kitchen, Free internet was only 80MB for me (two days) though. I would recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nightshadow999
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The host was very accommodating to our needs. As first-time travelers to Hamilton, we were very happy that he was there to answer all our questions. The room was clean and tidy, as were the common areas. Great place to stay, very near to the city center. Internet allocation gets spent rather quickly, though. Still, I'd gladly recommend this place to anyone!:)

Room Tip: Try to ask if they can give you a room exclusively for your group.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I genuinely had a great experience here, and I'd be happy to recommend it to anyone else who is looking for affordable, clean accommodation.

The host and staff are all very pleasent and helpful, I turned up early in the day and they were happy to let me have my room right away with not complaints or fuss.

The kitchen was clean and well stocked with any equipment you might need along with a very large flat screen tv and a large selection on books and games.

I stayed in the new wing and the room was clean, tidy, spacious,and secure. It also had a tv an ensuit at an extremely affordable price.

Give it a go for yourself you won't be dissapointed :) I wasn't.

• Stayed: December 2012