“Average”

Novotel Hamilton Tainui
Ranked #6 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We recently stayed at Novotel Tainui and it was a let down. The room was an executive suite, it was tired and looked like it was due for an upgrade. The decor was outdated and if you we're staying for a period of time the lounge was not welcoming. The air conditioning clicked intermittently all night. Meal trays and empty bottles will left by elevators and outside rooms for a long period of time and not picked up. I have stayed here before and it was good however I am wondering whether we just got a bad night and a bad room!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
DBreukink, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Emma. Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. Really appreciate your comments in regards to the room lay-out and decoration, as well as the services of the hotel. We will use your feedback to train our staff and at the same time, have a look at all our suites for possible upgrades. My apologies for the disappointment. With kind regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager, Novotel Tainui Hamilton

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Novotel is everything you want for a business trip. Convenient to the Hamilton CBD, buses, restaurants (if you want a change from eating in), and a nice relaxing walk or run along the river bank. Comfortable and functioning rooms and an obliging staff when you needed information or additional service. The morning buffet breakfast is extensive and tasty. They are into recycling, and encourage the use of their gym.

Room Tip: Probably best to avoid a room facing Victoria Street, one of the main roads through the CBD.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Keith, Thank you so much for reviewing your stay with us. Glad to read that you have enjoyed it. With kind regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager, Novotel Tainui Hamilton

Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
DBreukink, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Even though it's part of a chain, the Novotel, Hamilton is warm and friendly. All the staff from check-in, the concierge, the bar and dining room staff were excellent. Great food and very clean and comfortable room. My only complaint is that they don't offer free wifi in the room. In today's world, that should be a given.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 2kiwis_11

Dear Guest. Really appreciate the time you took to provide us with feedback in regard to your stay. We are currently working a better internet deals and hopefull will be able to implement those soon. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
DBreukink, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I had several nights in this hotel which is well positioned in central Hamilton. The rooms are large and comfortable. I had a room at the front of the hotel which I found noisy and so was able to move to the back of the hotel for the remainder of my stay. The restuarant food is excellent and the staff are really friendly and helpful. A few minor things they need to work on though which prevents me from giving 5 stars: Internet is too expensive, it takes too long for staff to clear away tables at breakfast and the floor I was staying on when you step out of the lift was just too .... well, brown - the carpet, walls, etc all brown and no decor. Maybe some colours or artwork, hallway tables, etc would break it up a bit.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank richak39
DBreukink, General Manager at Novotel Hamilton Tainui, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest. We realy appreciate the time you took to review your stay with us and appreciate your feedback on our hotel and services. We hope that you had a good trip back to Europe. Best regards, Dick Breukink, General Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel has much that needs to be done to improve its service.

I stayed there for two nights while on business in Hamilton. While the hotel is located very centrally, and is in a good condition, the following has resulted in this poor review.

1. When I arrived and checked in, there was a significant issue in that the reception staff were determined that I needed to pay for the room, despite it having been pre-paid by my company. I had to refuse to pay and locate the credit card number used before I was believed.

2. Valet parking is overpriced. Come on - this is Hamilton!

3. After I did the paperwork (finally) I was told to give my keys to reception for it to be parked. The staff watched (and were not busy) as I struggled to Carr my several bags from the car to the room. No one offered to help despite it being obvious that I was struggling. No one even offered a luggage rack.

4. There is no upper sheet on the bed, and no cover on the duvet. Made me feel unclean. The pillows were over soft, and the duvet not warm enough.

5. The TV remote did not work, and wasn't fixed over the two nights I was there, despite requesting it twice.

I would normally let this stuff go and not write a bad review when staying for work, however what happened next made this review necessary. At 2.45am last night the fire alarm went off. These things happen and the hotel can't be blamed for that. But they can be blamed for their response. It took at least 25 minutes of several hundred people dressed in sleepwear standing in 4 degrees and fog for the first fire warden to arrive, and a further 10 minutes for the first blanket to be offered to a guest. It was so bad one lady had to be taken away by ambulance. The staff didn't know what was going on, didn't communicate, and in fact were not to be seen most of the time. Almost an hour after it started, the fire service stopped the alarm. Still no warden, so the cold and tired men, women and children starte to walk in again - only to be reprimanded by the fire service as clearence had not been given. Again no communication from staff.

Finally back in the hotel. No one opened up the stairwell, so we all had to wait for the two lifts to take several hundred people back to their rooms. When there, of course many people had left in a hurry without getting their keys, and no staff were around to let people back into their rooms.

I understand that a dire alarm going off is not the hotels fault. But the lack of action and leadership is. If it was intact a real emergency, the results could have been, at worse, fatal.

Check out the next day, and no mention whatsoever of the night before. No sorry, no nothing. Not just me, but my other 4 colleagues that were staying remarked the same - no acknowledgement at all. I didn't expect anything for free necessarily, but I did expect acknowledgement.

I will not stay here again, and recommend you font either. If there is ever a real emergency here it will be chaos!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Mmmmmm345

Dear Guest. Thank you very much for your response in regards to your stay with us and the service experience that you encountered. I am very sorry that you had to go through the fire evacuation, but there was one of my guests who triggered the alarm and although no fire, we can not do anything else but evacuate. We have had a meeting with all concerned in regards to the response and how we communicated with our guests and have certainly learnt from this. I came to the hotel myself at 3 am in the morning and assisted my staff as much as possible with communicating with the guests and ensuring their well being, but hope you understand that a full hotel evacuation is a challenge. Thank you for your understanding and apologies again for the inconveniences you have encountered. With kind regards, Dick Breukink, general manager