“Great Days in Auckland & Tauranga”
Review of Archer Tours

Archer Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$141.85*
and up
Tauranga Shore Excursion: Maori Culture, Kiwis, and Geo-Thermal Valleys in...
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Hamilton
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I organised our daily tours Auckland & Tauranga online before we sailed on the Sun Princess 12 Jan 2014 and Jim was very quick to respond. His company was recommended by a friend. Auckland was a city drive trip and was very informative. Got to stop at some wonderful places to take photos. A fantastic day trip from Tauranga to Rotorua. Jim is a wonderful representative for both the Maori and the Kiwis in general. The small group structure was definitely the way to go, especially after seeing bus load after bus load of people arriving after we did. Jim is personal and professional and it was a pleasure to spend the day with him. I would highly recommend this company and his tour ... Jim was waiting for us on the quay side with his people carrier as our cruise ship docked in Tauranga. There were only 11 of us and it was a much personalised tour. We ventured along and saw a beautiful beach, then off to the Kiwi Fruit farm. The highlight was the visit to the Te Puia Maori Centre where we were given a traditional Maori welcome and entertained with traditional singing and dancing. Rotorua was a spectacular place also.
Jim has Maori ancestry and is very knowledgeable about their language, history and culture.
Overall a most enjoyable and informative tour conducted by a friendly guide who really knows his stuff and cares about customer satisfaction.
Thanks again
Jim

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I booked Jim online as we were travelling on a cruise. He met us at the port on time and we had an excellent day. It was a highlight of our trip. Jim's knowledge of the Maori culture was fascinating and he took us to so many places I can't remember them all. I highly reccomend this tour. Kim R

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Jim Archer offered a professional tour experience from the time of booking until completion. Our cruise ship Sea Princess called into Port Tauranga where as agreed Jim was there, ready and waiting to collect us and fellow passengers for the tour. His bright green and white van is easy to see when disembarking from the ship's gangway. When booking this tour, our aim was to get away from the big bus tours and crowds . Jim's small group tour ticked all the boxes and more for a personalized tour and service. Our tour was filled with variety, fun and special places. We came away with an authentic sense of each area visited thanks to Jim’s depth of knowledge and commentary. We experienced everything we were hoping for and more with Archer Tours. Jim is an Indigenous New Zealander, Maori and he generously shared stories from the heart. He provided detailed information throughout the tour, with a great sense of humor and skill. We experienced and learned so much in just one day, all in the comfort of a small group and Jim's kind and caring manner. Jim’s tour is a delight! We highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you're in New Zealand (especially the North Island), contact Jim Archer. Whether you're stopping for a day in Tauranga or Auckland while on a cruise, or whether you're keeping your feet on land the whole time and are just looking for a knowledgeable local to show you around a specific area, Jim is your guy. I originally contacted him about doing a day tour of Auckland the day our cruise ended, but we ended up also signing up my mom to do his Rotorua tour the day before when we stopped in Tauranga as well (the rest of us had plans to kayak so weren't able to join). He was easy to find off the ship, with his comfortable van parked right near the gangway, and after getting back from an adventuresome day of kayaking, I was a bit envious hearing all about what fun things Jim showed my mom and the rest of their group in Rotorua. The next day we all joined Jim for a tour of Auckland. Though my mom enjoyed the Rotorua trip a bit more than Auckland, it had absolutely nothing to do with the tour itself; it was simply that the area around Rotorua has a lot more history and interesting tidbits to talk about, whereas Auckland is a city, so you see "city things" rather than all the history and lore than go with a more tribal area. Jim, who has Maori roots, is an incredibly knowledegable and engaging man who made both of our days incredibly enjoyable. And bonus...he dropped us off at the airport in Auckland (after hauling our luggage around in a convenient little trailer) at the end of our day! (though I had a notion to just stowaway in the backseat so I wouldn't have to ever leave the beautiful country of New Zealand!) Tour with Jim wherever you are in New Zealand; you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I booked the tour with Jim based on all the good reviews in tripadvisor.

As agreed, Jim was waiting for us when we got out of Radiance of the Seas. There was another couple who booked the same tour with Jim. We waited for 15 minutes and the couple didnt turn up. Ended up it became a private tour for my family.

Jim was a great guide, he guided us along the kiwi farm, explained to us the Maori culture, walked us through the thermal valley.

The tour with Jim was definitely better and cheaper than joining the shore excursion organised by the cruise Ship.

For those who are planning to go Rotorua, I would recommend you to join the tour with Jim. He is someone you can trust and he will make sure you get back to the ship before it set off.