“Dicey Start, but Turned Out Well”

Colonial City Motel
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I booked this hotel the morning of the day we would arrive on www.booking.com. During booking the stay, I never noticed anything on the site about arrival time. I was unable to get Internet or phone service after booking, so I didn't get to view my confirmation email and I never visited the hotel's actual website. We arrived late to the hotel after getting lost on our way from coromandel peninsula after encountering closed roads. I was quite exhausted when I rang the bell at 11:30. I was greeted rudely and told it was made VERY clear that the office closed at 9:30 and that it was rude of ME to show up later than that. I asked if she would like me to stay elsewhere. She simply said, "No. You've booked with booking.com so we can't do that." It seems that their real problem is with the way booking.com does business. If they don't want latecomers, they shouldn't have rooms available on booking.com. It was clear they had encountered this problem in the past. I was dreading visiting the front office the next morning after that encounter; however, when I went up in the morning, the owners were very friendly and helpful getting me wifi passwords, laundry detergent and change for the washer and dryer. The room was very nice and breakfast was good. I'm not sure why we got breakfast for only 2 when we had paid extra for our 2 children. The beds were comfortable and the shower was hot. I appreciated the use of the laundry room, but the dryer is very slow. We sat in the parking lot after checkout waiting for our clothes to finish drying. The owner was very helpful in allowing me the use of the phone when we experienced car trouble. She also took the time to help us find shopping and a grocery store. I would recommend this hotel, but beware the booking.com confusion and don't arrive late. You will NOT be greeted kindly, but they will do their best to make up for it the next morning.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa27Marie
There are newer reviews for Colonial City Motel

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My warning to people is not to book this accommodation, worst experience we ever had. Booked through a website then found out they were overcharging us, when we asked the question, they got very offensive, not a good way to treat your guest. Wasn't happy with their attitude as been in many hotels and motels in my lifetime this one has to take the cake. Even ripped the phone from me when they asked me to call the website booking.com to clarify, wouldn't even let me speak. Even kicked us out because we asked a question, thought we were trying to rip them off but for $20 do you really think it was worth the effort. Ended up staying at a much better place and didn't even mind paying more for it. If I could give a negative score, I would. Highly NOT recommended as there is many more better places and not worth ruining your stay in Hamilton.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Imurtrader
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This older, unassuming accommodation is full of charm and owner/ manager friendliness. Simple breakfasts brought to your room, and wi-fi included. Could not be more friendly and helpful. Rooms clean, roomy and comfortable.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I come to Hamilton regularly, and never bother calling elsewhere.
If I've ever had a problem with Colonial City, the staff sort it out immediately.

Comfortable, clean, free wifi, enough milk for tea and cereal, handy location.... unique....

I do not like big noisy impersonal motels. Locally owned and operated can show attention to detail and make me feel at home.

I'll be back!

Room Tip: Any room. Just explain needs when booking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sawhira
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My experience was one of the most dirty rooms I have stayed in. Carpets not vacummed. The sofa had food crumbs everywhere, even the side arm rest. The top edges of the sofa were full of dust. The pictures on the walls were covered in dust. There were ants crawling along the kitchen benches. There were also cobwebs in most corners.There was no vanity bench in the bathroom.The bathroom slide door was covered in dirty marks. Light switches werecovered in finger marks , Mirriors were not clean, the bedspreads and linen were old and stained with other occupants hairs. the room smelt musty. My husband and I spent 1 hour cleaning the room before we felt comfortable sleeping there. Perhaps it was a bad day from the cleaners but some of the filth seemed to have been there a while.The microwave had a layer of grease and crumbs on the top.The place was looking dated and had torn wallpaper etc. The towels were so old they were grey from the water they have been washed in. There was mould under the headrest in the spa bath. There was no operating fire alarm or smoke detectors within site of the room I stayed in. I dont know how this is safe for paying visitors?
Do not stay in room 17!! The bed was comfortable and the large TV was great.
Perhaps the proprieters should look at there cleaning staff and invest in some new linen and towels. A splash of paint and wallpaper could also improve there situation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelalotnzTS
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The homey, comfy, local feel of this place, plus the friendly hospitality, efficiency and good value.... I always stay here when in Hamilton. I've stayed on my own, with friends for Parachute Music Festival... It's easy and comfortable and clean. Why am I sharing the best kept secret in Hamilton?!
Reading chair, Sky, kitchenette, safe parking...

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed her for 3 days while we were in Hamilton for a wedding. We stayed in a one bedroom unit which was more than large enough for the two of us. The place was tidy and the bathroom was so clean and immaculate. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of parking. Very easy to find and close to the centre, we will most definitely be staying here again and we would recommend this place to people who want an affordable and enjoyable stay. Cheers!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple