“Average”
Review of Auto Lodge Motel

Auto Lodge Motel
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The LCD TV is the biggest I had in motels in NZ. The room was basic but everything worked. If your room is nearer to the road, traffic noise is a problem, so try getting a room further away. This is the first motel along the road as you drive into town, so you may want to compare the other motels on both sides of the some road before choosing where to stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main road/entrance.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hmmmm. I stayed at this property on a 'walk-in' basis during a recent driving trip in NZ. The Auto Lodge Hamilton is located on a strip with numerous motels - so I guess competition is pretty strong. I was travelling by myself, so only wanted a single room. The lady on the front desk only wanted to sell me a suite (mini-apartment) that was far larger than I needed. The price quoted was about NZ$125. I said thanks, but other properties were offering rooms that met my needs for under $100. After a long and somewhat 'pythonesque' discussion with this lady who was doing her best to tell me why I needed to take the suite (...comfortable, nice bed etc, etc), I managed to get the room for $89! Despite her claims to the contrary, I doubt that they were 'full' that night and there were plenty of alternatives.

The room itself was fine. The Auto Lodge is an older property, but was in good condition. The bed was comfortable, there was a kitchen (if I had needed it) and the wireless Internet worked well. This is a suitable establishment for an overnight stay. Just be prepared for some entertaining haggling over the price you pay.

Room Tip: Central Hamilton has lots of nice places for a meal and a drink. The 'Londoner' (British Pub...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
John K, Manager at Auto Lodge Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thanks for your review, as we welcome all reviews to encourage development and improvement to better customer service and quality accomodation that is clean, pleasant and welcoming to stay at. At Auto Lodge Motel, we have intiated a new management system to aim at customer satisfaction one step at a time. Keeping prices low and providing a service more then the moneys worth.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

These people are difficult to deal with. Trying to get thru to people with very little english is bad enough, but the man that I tried to cancel our room with had no grasp of what I was saying and did not cancel a room which ended up costing me $220.00. Never again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Michele L
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Was met by a lovely receptionist and after asking the price of a room booked in as was a drive in. Did not think the $90.00 charge for the room was worth what was there. The room was dated and old fashioned & it was quite hard to flush the toilet. The free internet did not work and had someone put a cable through a window to try and get this working but to no avail.

Room Tip: not sure that there are any rooms you could choose as the road noise was very obvious as no double g...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Eggy62

We thank you very much for your review. We are currently refurblishing all our units to bring them up to standard as of early 2013. Being aware our building is one of the older buildings on the Hamilton motel Highway, we are in the process of constructing a better service of accomodation for our future guests. We hope the next time you visit, we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a visit to Hamilton. Room was clean and tidy but very pokey, bathroom dated, best thing was the size of the tv. Relatively quiet at night . Walls and ceiling not very sound proof as we could hear the people upstairs going to the toilet first thing in the morning, not that great!! Was good though to have proper milk not stuff in little plastic pottles.One bonus is the free internet in room.Room was a wotif special, so not sure if we were given a bad room because of this or if it was a standard room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your reviews. We take all aspects into consideration and over look all pros and cons for developement. So thank your for your reviews.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I got a Wotif 'flaming special' price of $79 for a studio suite [for one person in my case but price catered for 2] so my review is colored by that fact. I may have been a little surprised at the older but adequate bathroom/kitchenette areas if I had paid the usual $115. But the other great services and facilities were a welcome bonus.

As it was I loved my stay overnight and would definitely stay there again.

Pluses for me were: A lovely helpful receptionist; fabulous practical cp help for me to activate my wi-fi which was free and meant a saving for me of around $10-15 per stay; a spotless and well maintained motel unit with the best bed I have come across and superb pillows [real pillows and not all 'fluff and show']; a small refrigerator and toaster to save money on simple food prep. [there is a bulk/cheap supermarket just around the corner]; REAL milk.... not tiny plastic containers [thanks Auto Lodge!] of long life tasteless 'nothingness'; Flat screen TV and free Sky TV...a real bonus as NZ TV is not good usually, Microwave and sink etc...even the 'smoking / cig ash' containers outside were well placed; easy free parking.

A couple of practical suggestions for the motel owners could include adding a gazebo with roof over the outdoor circular table / seating area....also a BBQ. It would create atmosphere and also provide a clean form of outdoor cooking...that saves a solo or family from having to leave the motel.

The motel is lit with blue feature lighting at night....it would have been handy to have the actual motel name sign also lit up to find my way home more easily. It would also look more inviting.

Also...I almost did not book since I did not like the motel name...OK a petty issue but it sounded pretty boring etc...I DID book since the price was good...but maybe a change of name could be considered? Auto Lodge means little or nothing to me...and sounds cold and 'robotic' if anything. It is not a 'friendly' name...and lets its owners down, as they are lovely!

If you can get the same low price as I got I am sure that this motel would be great for 'no nonsense' business, solo and practical people. I would definitely stay there again as the place ticks all the boxes for me. In that sense it is beyond great value for money. It is way ahead in its price range...but that is easy for me to say now...having got a good price in my view. I would have thought it comfortable, with lots of free extras...yet a bit shoddy at $115...but then I am a traveler who has a mental cut off at $100 pn...no matter what it is lol!

Room Tip: Try to get a downstairs room unless you have strong people to carry luggage up...open-air stair acce...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Libby M
Reviewed January 13, 2012

clean room with big tv screen but without kitchen and with not too nice bathroom.Staff friendly

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple