“In need of a refurb and management guidance”

Grosvenor Motor Inn
Ranked #53 of 62 Hotels in Hamilton
zoe82
“In need of a refurb and management guidance”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

This place was like stepping into an 70's/80's time warp. The spa rooms are in need of referub and the colours of the room need to be changed. The spa vents were all clogged with mould so much so that we didn't use it. The contential breakfast is terrible, it is white bread and a couple of packet cereals. We ended up getting breakfast somewhere else because of this. I have seen contential breakfasts served with much more variety, in much smaller hotels. The best part was the electric blanket, but you can get that anywhere so try avoiding this place until they renivate it. Also the pool was filthy so we didn't use that. I am not a pedantic person and had stayed in my share of backpackers on this trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights with our two kids. Our room was quite spacious, had a nice kitchen with prep area, everything was neatly organized in the kitchen. Overall, our room was very clean and comfortable.

Furthermore, the staff at this hotel was very accomodating and friendly at the same time.

The hotel also had a Restaurant that served excellent gourmet food, which was delicous and reasonable too.

The pool was great; very clean and warm at the same time. My kids had a great time at this hotel and we will for sure stay here in the future

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Coromandel, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2011

The room we were in had a leaking shower, the pillows looked like they were the original pillows from the 70s, the bedspread was grubby, blanket threadbare, the carpets were dirty, and the bed had a serious roll together problem. The staff were friendly though!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hamilton hotels

Auckland
Reviewed May 7, 2011

We bought the Special which was $180 including 3 course dinner and breakfast for two and a bottle of wine. I have read the previous reviews and agree yes the place is not the cleanest in the world but it was ok. What we did like was the convenience of the restaurant on-site and the friendliness of the people. For example the pool opens "whenever you want to swim" and closes "when the last person has swum" which is a nice change from other places that have rules that limit how much you can use the facilities and when. Dinner was good, the lamb shanks done really well. The wine bottle took about 30 minutes to get open, the waitress/bar person had never seen a bottle with a cork in it in her life before and had never heard of a corkscrew, and when one was summoned from the office, no-one knew how to use it. Rather funny actually, a bit Fawlty Towers. TV was on all the way through dinner and breakfast and we were asked what we wanted to watch, rather homely indeed.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed for 1 night with my partner and parents in law. the place was basic but clean and had the usual motel feel about it. We chose to stay there as they had a onsite restaurant which was convieniant for my in laws. when we arrived at the restaurant we sat down and were given the drinks and food menus. My partner (who is a diabetic) asked for a Coke Zero only to be told they did not have coke zero! - when my father in law ordered the beef lasagne from the dinner specials menu he was told yes thats a good dish however 10 minutes later was told that they had run out of lasagne!! even though the restaurant had only been open 15 minutes when we arrived!!. He then had to change his order and when everyone else got there food my father in law had to wait and wait while his food was being cooked - we had all finished by the time he got his meal! IF that was not bad serviced enough both my food (fish and chips) and my partners food (butter chicken) tasted horrid! - my fish tasted off and the chips were hard and looked to have been cooked in old oil, my partners butter chicken tasted terrible also and he had to leave most of it. We were then charged $120 for our meals which we thought was outrageous (the room only cost $180) - we may of well have gone to one of the many restaurants in Hamilton Central and had 3 course meals each for that price! the next morning we thought we would go there for breakfast - I mean no one can stuff up toast and breakfast foods surely! well was I mistaken, I got the hot cakes which cost $15 and I got 3 little hot cakes 1 bannana and 1 bit of bacon for my $$. my partner got the "grosvenor special" for $15 which consisted of 1 tomatoe, 3 of the tiniest sausages i have ever seen - smaller than cherios! 2 eggs, 2 hash browns and 2 pieces of toast.
I would NEVER NEVER recommend using the restaurant if you ever stay here it is over priced and the food is below poor. With regards to the accommodation itself, if you stay on the ground floor its ok as long as there are not loads of people and children in the units above you as the noise from walking around and up and down the stairs is deafening. a very average stay indeed :(

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Georgetown, Malaysia
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We booked a studio room for the final night of our tour of New Zealand. We received a friendly welcome on arrival by Deepak, received our milk but were not shown to our room. It was on the first floor & we were able to park at the bottom of the stairs, so didn't have far to take our bags.

The room was large, with fresh pale yellow colour walls, & had a queen size bed. There was also a desk, chair & TV and a 2-seater sofa. There was provision to make tea & coffee, & a bowl for our cereal, but no facilities for washing up. There was a ceiling fan, & a heater provided in the wardrobe. The wardrobe contained the iron & board, & after doing our laundry, went to use them but the iron plate was burned & the board cover was obviously designed to fit a very much larger board: I gave up on the ironing.

Laundry - purchase a pack of powder (NZ$2 I think), & pay for washer & dryer - I think NZ$4 each load.

Wifi - available at NZ$5 for 24 hours. It was fast & usable.

Bathroom - corner spa bath (jaccuzi) for 2 people if you want. Shower head over bath, & shower curtain round bath. I'm 5'4"/1.63m & the shower head was at my eye level - had to duck down to get my short fair hair wet. The bath & basin were peach-coloured & were looking old & tired.

Bed - looked OK, but when we turned the cover down late at night to sleep, we noted that the sheets & pillowcases hadn't been ironed. Gave it no further thought until I looked in the morning & found 2 long black hairs in the bed. My hair is as mentioned above & my husbands is non-existent. We'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that the hair belonged to the room maid & that she doesn't iron the linens, but somehow we have the thought in our minds that we were not the first to sleep in that bedding. We also noted several screwed up pieces of paper under the bed.

There is a restaurant on site & prices looked reasonable, but we chose to walk about 10 minutes to Speights Ale House. There are also supermarkets & liquor stores near to Speights.

When we checked out, we advised Deepak of the ironing problems, but didn't mention the hair - not a happy thought for the start of our last day in New Zealand

If it hadn't been for the bedding, I'd have given Grosvenor a Very Good rating.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StrayCat5
Wellington
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Slept very well for five nights in this very clean and comfortable motel. Despite being an older motel and not one I would necessarily have chosen myself (was here for work) I was highly impressed and found it a nice place to stay for a week with all needed amenities. The breakfasts were also very good - particularly the scrambled eggs. I stayed in a room to the rear of the premises which was very very quiet - not sure what the front rooms are like that face the road. Would happily stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business