“Unimpressed”

Ranked #25 of 80 Restaurants in Gisborne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was looking forward to our dinning experience at the "Wharf", I had checked their website & menu and thought it was going to be something special, a fine dinning experience at the marina. On arrival the place was rather casual, eventually greeted, seated and then waited. Six staff were on the floor and everytime one of them approached a table (about 20ish people in the resturant) the first words out of their mouth was "I sorry I will be with you shortly", really don't know what they were doing and clearly no one was in charge. On waiting at our table for our menu and maybe asked if we wanted a drink, which never happened, my partner said "look at the glasses", they were clean but still had lip marks and water spots all over both the glasses. Anyway to cut a long story short we waited 20mins before we walked out, there was no one even at the counter so we could say why we were leaving. Very disappointed.

1  Thank Adrienne F
There are newer reviews for Wharf Cafe, Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Went here during R&V so they were flat out busy. We were seated quickly, order taken quickly, food delivered quickly. We were impressed so returned a couple of days later with a larger group. Similar experience. Food was pretty good too.

1  Thank CeeCee09
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went here and were turned away. Told that they were fully booked. This is at 8pm and only six tables occupied. No reservation signs. Came back 1 hour later and they were shut. Easy to see we were lied to.

1  Thank nostrebor_family
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went for a group dinner, granted a dubious proposition given the chef has to make several plates magically appear within a narrow timeframe, however, that would be what a chef does yes no merci?

Dinner was flopped out with much haste and the steak was ok but not worth the price tag attached to it. I watched seagulls wheel outside in the darkening sky and imagined maybe there were bats living in the gigantic, scene destroying tugboat outside the restaurant.

A refresh of sorts is needed for the Wharf. I have been attending it for over twenty years and I must say its about time for an overhaul. Call Gok. Bring him down here to cover over the tawdry tiles and buy some reclining couches. Get Ramsay on the phone to sort out the chef and staff.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Went to the wharf today great service nice atmosphere but the food was a major let down. We ordered the same thing yet my mothers meal came without the egg on top and one less kumara fritter the waiter then said the missing egg would be here soon 5 minutes later it was brought to us in a bowl. First time in my life that an unfinished meal has been presented to eat. Quite appalling and then the waiter tried to argue the point of why an unfinished meal was given with my dissatisfied mother. There was no offer of compensation or refund. Was once a regular customer, will not go there again.