“Great Coffee. Interesting Cakes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Villaggio - CLOSED

Cafe Villaggio
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
“Great Coffee. Interesting Cakes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

I stayed in Gisborne for a few days in late February 2014. I'm a big Art Deco enthusiast so went in search of this cafe as a piece of architecture rather than for coffee, but as the garden was busy with locals, I knew it would be worth stopping off. Great coffee and a selection of interesting cakes. I sat inside near the fireplace first off, but was plagued by flies so moved outside for a second coffee. Free WiFi was very useful. Unusual building for a cafe, attentive staff, but something needs to be done about those flies !

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Dr Iain M H

“Food great. Rest needs improvement.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The food here is still great. But the rest leaves a little to be desired. The waits for food and even takeaway coffee are ridiculous. The coffee also needs improvement as it is often burnt. I'll still be back for the breakfasts though.

• Visited April 2014
Cambridge, New Zealand
“Lovely brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Food was excellent, service a little slow but we were in no hurry. Great coffee, lovely sitting under the trees - what could be better than good company and good food!

Visited March 2014
Gisborne, New Zealand
“What a wait”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Been twice recently, 45 minute wait first time and over an hour second. Lunchtime and not busy so no real excuse. Had paid upfront and by then very hungry otherwise I would have left. Once it arrived the food was fine but won't try again soon. It was especially embarrassing as I was entertaining a guest from overseas.

• Visited February 2014
Sweden
“Whoa on the corkage!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We're local but I must admit we usually only visit for a coffee on a nice summer's day because even though the ambience is great under the trees, sometimes a sea view outweighs this. However, the dinner menu is one of the best in Giz and since we had out-of-town - Auckland eaters, no less - visitors, we opted to take our guests to CF for a really special meal. We're always really keen to showcase/boast about the fantastic Gisborne wines (even though we're from HBay, home of some pretty impressive past vintages) and so we had taken with us a couple of fine homegrown examples, white and red. After seating us in the fading summer sun the waiter informed us that we would be charged $15 per bottle for corkage. Now I understand they had to eventually wash the five glasses we used and I would have understood more had they had the same wines on offer on their winelist but come on, CF people, $30 is over the top, particularly as we ended up later on in the evening by buying another bottle from you. Having had my little complaint about this, the meal was fantastic (and the Jaffas agreed) and I only wish I'd had room for dessert. We'll be back but I'll be asking about your 'extras'.

• Visited March 2014