“Great hotel - close to the town”

Portside Hotel - Heritage Collection
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Gisborne
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This is a great hotel for the Gisborne area. It is extremely quiet and pleasantly situated about 5 minutes walk from the centre of the town.
Staff are extremely helpful and I always find the rooms very comfortable with every convenience - whether it be one of their single bedroom apartments overlooking the harbour or, as I had this time around, a studio. All are well equipped with fridge, cooking and dishwasher facilities.
In Gladstone Street, Gisborne, there is an extremely good bookshop and coffee shop upstairs with a deck to sun bathe and enjoy coffee and a chat. It's called Muirs Bookshop - well worth a visit. Right next to the Gisborne Herald offices - a newspaper which has all the local news and entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Such a lovely space and view. Well designed and apportioned. Felt very relaxed. Most of all very friendly efficient staff on front desk. Perhaps some real coffee and plunger could be added fo kitchen supplies. Great off season price!

Room Tip: Portside view the best. Apartment not studio.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We found our unit very dissapointing. It was small and quite unusable. It had a kitchen but no where to sit bar on your bed. It wasn,t that clean and we also found the staff not that interested and had no idea on what to do in the area. It also for the money we paid had no restaurant or bar . We would never go back or reccomend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

This is the second time i have stayed here and just find it a bit expensive for what they offer.
Staff if you see any are not interested in looking after guest not that they did anything wrong they were just indifferent made for a much lesser experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AbsoluteTours
Reviewed June 6, 2011

As a walk in we paid $170 for a 1 bedroom apartment which over looked the harbour.
When we walked in we were impressed by the size of the apartment and the fixture and fittings, excellent cooking facilities and a dish washer and full laundry (washer and dryer)
The colours of the furniture at first seemed a bit dated for such a modern building but they were quality items and they grew on us.
There is lots of storage in both bathroom and bedroom, the hotel has a lap pool out front but being winter we were not game.
We liked looking out over the working harbour and the noise of the boats being loaded did not distract us or disturb our sleep, in fact it was very entertaining watching such a large boat get manovered into the harbour.
Would defo stay here again this would be our hotel of choice.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShaunScotland
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have stayed here before, but this time had a room overlooking the port, rather than the car-park, which was so much nicer. Loved the little balcony, too. Had a restful night. The room had everything I needed, and I particularly liked the little dish-draw dish washer.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I stayed there in late December as I was on myway round the East Cape on a leisure trip. I didn't know when I was going to get to Gisborne so hadn't booked. End result I arrived in Gisborne on the first day of Rythmn and Vines, a gale that had wrecked several hundred concert go-ers tents and no-where booked to stay. From the moment I called the Portside they seemed friendly and wanting to go the extra mile. The duty Mangeer (Joan) was especially helpful in getting me a room sorted for the second night when I was enjoying it so much I wanted to extend my stay.

The locastion is great for town, far enough to not be noisy, close enough to walj to a choice of cafes in 5 minutes.

I stayed in two rooms. One was a suite, and that was great, although I'd echo an earlier comment that I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a second TV in the bedroom which I'd have expected when compared to simmilar standard hotels elsewhere in NZ. Plenty of space, and the kitchen was well equiped. I didn't have any issue with the noise from the harbour, indeed found it relaxing to sit on the balcony reading the paper and watching the kayakers paddle past. The second door to the bedroom seemed to help keep the place very quiet, something that I've found often lets even the best hotels down.

Second night I was in a 'studio'. Still decent enough for a nights sleep, and loads of storage, but I can see why some people may find it a bit small. Personally it had a bed, a kitchen, a decent sized bathroom (twice the size of the one in the suite at Citylife Auckland that costs 3 times as much per night), so did what it needed to. Probably more of a 'functional' place to stay for business rather than a 'treat' for leisure.

I'll definately be back, and would certainly have a studio if there for work, but will be getting a suite when I go for leisure. The rest of the hotel is beautifully decorated and means that you feel relaxed from the moment you walk in through the door. But it's the staff that made the difference for me.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo