“Great location, that's about all, be wary”

Hicks Bay Motel Lodge
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Gisborne
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Management on arrival were extremely rude and kept us waiting not even acknowledging we were there. I agree with previous travellers - "Kiwiana Retro 60's" is an excuse not to upgrade the rooms. There was nothing kiwiana about the place BUT the location and views were superb. The room was not particularly clean - cobwebs around the kitchen area. The toilet had not been cleaned, nor the floor. To work the microwave you had to sit on the floor. For $135 per night I did not expect to have to walk up the hill to ask for a sharp knife and a hairdryer. The pool needed to be vaccuumed. Dinner was so-so and expensive. Service by the Manager in the restaurant rude again. Menu read "salad or vegetables, potatoes or chips, gravy or mint sauce". We were not given those options - we got what we got. I am sure that the only reason these people are in business is because there is nowhere else to stay. As there was no cellphone reception I purchased a card to use in the telephone box. This didn't work and when I complained to the staff member who sold it to me 2 mins earlier she said "Oh no it needs fixing" but to give her her due she let me use her phone (and my card). On commenting to management on checkout that the phone box didn't work he feigned surprise - two different stories in two minutes?

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed there for one night recently. Rooms were refurbished nicely but bathroom/shower outdated and small. Skimpy on the extras ie facecloth. They use those disgusting lifelong milk pottles for your coffee/tea. Restaurant food not good - definitely not chef quality, very, very basic learner cook stuff. Most disappointing were the hosts. We felt an inconvenience. No people skills or pleasantries from these two - surly woman at reception as we paid an left!
Would not recommend - try elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Room furnishings/decor were quite outdated. Bed sheets had some dubious stains on them. Room had an awful musty smell which tainted my clothes for days afterwards. Room was very hot with no air conditioning, took a while to cool down. Great ocean views from the room. Dinner and breakfast served within set hours - was happy with the meals. There is a small swimming pool and a steep walking track that takes you down to the beach. A bit pricey for what you get, but in such a remote location, one can't be too fussy when desperately seeking accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Our room was a Bunkroom which consisted of 2 sets of bunks with innersprung mattresses and linen provided as well as towels and bathmat. We also had our own shower and toilet which was great. The cost was $85 for 3 adults and was worth every cent. The pool was lovely and clean and the veiw is beautiful. The cost of grocery items are overpriced in the store. I saw this place on TV just before Christmas on the S.O.S Makeover Programme. Our room had not been madeover and did not need it but the window sills could have been cleaned as there were dead insects on them. The room was very warm and attracted the mozzies. Hopefully sometime in the future flyscreens will be added. The Proprietors did not come accross as being very freindly upon our arrival as people are expected to be booked in by 4pm but because we came so far from Whanganui it was impossible to get there before then. We made it by 8pm. I would definately go there again and it was a much better stay then expected as 2yrs before i stayed at Te Araroa Holiday Park which is a little further down the road and that was the most disgusting place i have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank newthy4
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed for one night and had dinner, bed and breakfast. Yes, the dining room was only open for a set time but this did not worry us at all. We had very nice meals and enjoyed the superbe views. The dining service was very good. Our room was probably one of the more recently refurbished ones and was very pleasant. We particularly liked the choice of art work. the room was clean, carpet seemed new and bed was very comfortable. I would stay at the motel again and would be happy to recommend it.
We did drive past the motel on first arriving so I agree with previous reviewer that said the sign outside needs to be better. A warning needs to be further down the hill if coming from the North. If staying there please be aware of the catches on the outside of the screen doors. I inadvertently locked my husband in the room when I went for a walk as I put the lock on the screen door without thinking when I closed the door behind me. My husband tried to get out but had to wait until I eventually strolled back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Better signage to be more visable,as we drove past.
The rooms we booked looked like class rooms and very dated.
On arrival reception wasn't very welcoming. Owner busy in shop next door. Would of been nice to have been acknowledged even if he was busy.
To have fresh milk on arrival and at least a knife and fork.
Evening meals were at a set time which we didn't appreciate being so early. We were first there and the couple with us had to wait nearly a hour I'm sure they had forgotten them until they were reminded. I would be happy to be contacted to give further feed back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The view from the rooms in beautiful but would be improved by pruning the bushes in front of them. The room we stayed in was very dated - they use "retro 1960s" as an excuse for old in our opinion!
There was no complimentary milk and if you wanted a sharp knife, a hairdryer and various other items you had to ask at reception - for $145 per night I would expect these things as standard.
We wanted to walk down to the beach via the waterfall (as shown in the room compendium) and had to ask where the path was as there were no signs. The path was totally overgrown and in a state of such disrepair that we considered it dangerous. We finally got to the beach after climbing over a fence because the path totally disappeared!
There is another path to the beach which is very good - we came back that way!!
We didn't eat in the restaurant - the prices put us off as well as the dining times being only from 6 to 7 pm.
The motel has a great location and there is definitely potential but with unfriendly management and 'seeming lack of interest in the guests we wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple