“Awesomeness and more”

Surf City Lodge
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Awesomeness and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

After a 5 hour drive to Gisborne we felt like we had arrived with whanau. Dinner was cooking, Barry and Ros welcoming. Barry is the consummate host and complimented nicely by Ros. On our first morning Barry took us for a drive to see some of the sights of Gisborne and recommended others to us. Breakfast was huge and delicious - we didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. this was the first holiday that we have taken where we have been taken care of so completely. Nothing was too much bother for Barry and Ros. Our dinners were of restaurant quality and filling. We looked forward to seeing what was next on the menu. Barry took into account all our varying tastes and fussiness. A home away from home, complete with chef. Barry took us out fishing at Tolaga Bay wharf, while a baby sand shark was caught and not much else, that was no fault of Barry!!! He recommended places to eat, beaches to try, trips to make. Maps provided, directions and any assistance. Our rooms were more than comfortable and the home was opened up to us. We never felt in the way. I was so upset to leave, I would have stayed forever. So happy with our stay, we have booked for another stay for next year to ensure we can have the dates that we want. Barry and Ros, thank you so much.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bazza026, Owner at Surf City Lodge, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Deb it was a pleasure. What a great family and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at the Surf City B+B Lodge as a little treat to myself during my travel through NZ at the end of 2013. Not only did Barry pick me and drop me off ready for my connecting buses, but following my request to get up to see the sun rise - Barry kindly obliged!

The room was large and extremely comfortable, the lodge is situated away from the centre (but only a short walk away), in a lovely secluded area, surrounded by a beautiful garden (full of their own fruit and veg).

Lovely hosts and good food. The home-brewed beer was extremely tasty.

Thank you to the both of you and all the best for the New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bazza026, Owner at Surf City Lodge, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
No problem. I use your recommended time lapse app often now.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Barry and Ros are wonderful hosts - friendly, relaxed and helpful. Barry's fabulous fish dishes have passed into legend, but what is less well known is that he's a dab hand at creating interesting and beautifully presented meals for vegetarians like me. I've had the pleasure of sampling Malaysian-style curry, kale with walnuts, and a powerhouse breakfast drink made from a stunning combination of fruits and vegetables. The superb breakfasts and evening meals that Barry prepared were a highlight of my stay at Surf City Lodge.

Room Tip: The self-contained unit in the garden is a particularly pleasant room to stay in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 343Susan_S343
Bazza026, Owner at Surf City Lodge, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Susan - Thank you for your review. Its always a pleasure to have you stay and helps keep my vegetarian cooking skills up-to-date.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having wandered into Gisborne on a road trip and looking for a nights accommodation the i-Site referred me to Surf City Lodge and it proved to everything they said it would be. I stayed in the wonderful wee chalet in garden, enjoyed chatting to Barry and discovered we went to the same school a long time ago, and enjoyed one of his famous breakfasts. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

What a great place to stay in, had a enjoyable evening chat with two lovely hosts, a GReat brekkie (loved the thick fruit smoothie) and wonderful attention to detail - a real high bar set for other NZ B&Bs in this and higher price ranges.

• Stayed December 2012
Gisborne, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My first time to Gizzy was wicked! I needed somewhere fairly cheap to stay for the weekend and I found these guys - $50 a night (off season) was a sweet deal! Stayed with Barry and Ros for the weekend and although I was in and out alot they were awesome! Very hospitable couple, offered alot of knowledge about the area and were indeed very helpful. I was greeted with a cup of tea and had a bit of a yarn and watched the rugby with them before turning in. My first morning was a whirlwind on my part but the hearty breakfast I had was just amazing! I love my food so I was definately blown away with it - was exactly the start I needed for the day. I would definately reccomend Surf City Lodge - friendly hosts I know where I'm staying on my next visit to Gisborne. :)

Josh - Hamilton, NZ

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
new zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

In 25 years of traveling, in about 47 countries, I don't think I have found better value for money. Barry and Ros have a lovely home and act as great hosts. A delicious 3 course meal with wine was provided, as was a sumptuous breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo