“Just do”

YHA Gisborne
Charleston, South Carolina
“Just do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed here in March 2013 for 2 nights in an ensuite double with my husband. Small very clean facility quite up to YHA standards and MUCH better than most of the noisy and somewhat unkempt BBH facilities we stayed at during a 7 week drive around both NZ Islands this year. From here on when we travel we will try for YHA first if we are staying in a hostel.The hostel is in a quiet area just a short walk over a bridge into downtown and right next to a great marina with bar restaurant. The owner is also the manager and is somewhat of an odd duck but is certainly not rude or unhelpful.The rooms and kitchen are clean and the outdoor patio and dining area are quite nice. The outside loo did have a covered walkway I believe for those not in an ensuite. There is a small supermarket with wine and beer just across the street and the hostel is in a working class residential area . Would easily stay here again. Quite a few wineries ouside of town which do require a car to access with wonderful weekend music and lunches.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

I turn up, the front door is locked with no sign pointing to the door which they actually use which is a side door. The guy comes out and tells me the doors round here, sees that I have a huge backpack and offers no help to carry it. I get in, it's freezing, damp and very uncosy. The bed is ok, which I'm glad for. You have to go outside to go to the loo, not happy about this.
When I asked the manager about the wifi not working and our plug extension lead blew out in the room, he was VERY rude and would not listen to a thing we were saying. Made us feel as though we were making it all up just to give him a hard time. For god sake! Don't stay here, absolutely no customer service and it's miles out of town for people without a car. I have to shell out for a taxi in the morning to catch my bus. Very disappointed, not up to the YHA standard at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Gisborne hotels

Ferrara, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

As many of YHA hostel in small cities in NZ this one was quite good. I was one night in the single room thanks to a kind receptionist who understood the need of the client, not a talent of everyone working in such places...
The hostel is just a few minutes walk from the city centre and 15 min. walk from the I-site, so if you have a suitcase or a heavy backpack and travel by bus just be prepared.
I didn't use the kitchen but I found it very clean and provided with anything you could need (no free food or breakfast when I was there).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed here for more couple of nights, as there wasn't much to do in Gisborne. The hostel was great, a large old house I think, the dorms were split sex and had very comfy beds for the good price.

The communal areas were meticulously cleaned by the female manager and the facilities were excellent.

This place had a really lovely vibe, definitely not a party hostel, nice and chilled.

• Stayed December 2012
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Our room was fairly average but comfortable, albeit a bit small. Having said that, we were a last minute booking, and Clive squeezed us in when we were desperate!!

The kitchen was well equipped and quite spacious, and we could eat outside in the garden. It was only a short walk into town and to the beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

We thought this hostel was really nice, lovely building, nice new kitchen, nice bright rooms, nice garden area and the guy was very helpful, we turned up unannounced as the one I'd booked having closed down with out telling us. We didn't have a problem with noise or anything. One of the nicest ones I have stayed in.

Room Tip: We stayed in a private room which spacious and had towels provided too.