“Another great experience at the Marina”

The Marina Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 87 Restaurants in Gisborne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Ultimate fine dining in Gisborne- Michelin Style Dining, Bistro style lunches
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We hadn't been to the Marina for sometime so it was greatly anticipated as we have never had a bad meal or experience here, it was an opportunity to take 'American' Mike, before he heads south. It is really the only restaurant we go to because the food and service are consistently high (and we always see people we know). 'He' always has the duck, and it never fails, he loves it, Mike also had the duck. I had the pork which was divine, so moist and juicy! And of course the desserts are always to die for.
I find it interesting that some reviewers, (and not just those who visit Gisborne), who visit provincial towns make comments about Auckland prices....its not about the price, its about the quality of the meal and food, and the big cities don't have a monopoly on excellent chefs!
Thanks Again

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Lunch time group had a great meal with the usual impeccable service and first class food. All the groups meals were ready and served together even with us all choosing different items from a very well put together menu. Excellent wine list with something for everyone. Best value for money in Gisborne.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Beautiful setting on the river & very cosy by the fire on a wintry night, the scene was set for a beautiful evening to celebrate a special birthday. Service was attentive, friendly & very helpful without ever intruding. Our family of 5, including our 7yr old, enjoyed all the courses, & we were lucky to be able to sample the saffron cap mushrooms grown locally (very yummy). The duck confit was to die for...moist & tender with mouth watering crispy skin! Pudding really was the icing on the cake to a fantastic evening. Price is comparable to other Gisborne restaurants but the quality of both service & food is far superior. I will definitely be going back with my family, & highly recommend The Marina to all.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

A groups of us dined recently at the Marina in Gisborne. A lovely location and the restaurant is well appointed beside the river. Nice atmospher with linen and good quality cutlery etc. An amusebouche staved off the hunger pangs while we waited more than an hour for th first course to arrive, then another for the mains. As you could imagine we weren't going to wait another hour for dessert, so skipped out without it...saving ourselves another $20 per person.

The entrees for fairly small but quite expensive, the mains were nothing significant either and although I had the signature duck dish, I found it over salted, the skin wasn't crisp and the duck was dried out. Pretty disappointing really, as I know my duck confit coming from the region the the chef is from in France.

My dinner companions had the pork fillet which was basically a chunk of fillet cooked and chopped into a few pieces stnading on its side with a bit of jus drizzle around, again not really worht the money...paying Auckland prices for Gisborne food did not quite do it for me, but obviously the demand is there from the clientel as they were quite busy when we arrived. Still, I think I'll check out something a little less prentious next time to get better kiwi cuisine.

2  Thank kiki_kiwi_11
cpp23, Owner at The Marina Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

As the owner of the business I would like to address a few issues regarding your post on the 7th May. We appreciate your feed back and are sorry that you were not satisfied.

The night that you dined there were a total of 58 dinners in the restaurant. Your booking had been for 8 and it increased to 15 mid afternoon on the day in which you dined. Our kitchen processes the orders as they appear in the order that they are presented. Your table was the last order the kitchen received and our chefs did their best to process the dockets as quickly as they could. Unfortunately on such a busy night there is sometimes an unavoidable wait.

With respect to our menu prices we are inline with our major competitors in Gisborne ranging from $15 to $18 for an entree, from $34 to $38.50 for a main course and our desserts range from $13.50 to $15. We use only the finest ingredients and everything is made here at the restaurant. Our prices are in fact quite a lot less expensive than many big city restaurants where entrees start at $21, main courses from $45 to $47 and desserts from $18. Being a remote town, we have to freight in many of our supplies but still we cannot charge big city prices.

I contacted another diner who is a regular customer who had the duck confit on the same night and he had not found the duck to be over salted or dry. The chefs use a sous vide method of cooking for preparing the duck which results in tender succulent meat. Confit uses a salting process to cure the meat and thus is always a slightly salty dish. The pork fillet is portioned at an average of 300g and was complete with vegetables and starch.

We take great pride in what we do at the restaurant, and it is a shame these problems were not addressed on the night. We strive for perfection and appreciate feedback and we do endeavour to have 100% customer satisfaction. I do hope if you are ever in Gisborne again you will give us another chance.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I dined here alone on a business trip. I tried to use Google maps but struggled a bit. I mad it there in the end. Service is fantastic and the beers were great. Chilly-philly starter was a bit sweet. That knocked a star off the otherwise five star rating. I enjoyed my visit here and had the chance to catch up on the local newspaper, which I also recommend. Especially the court section. Very entertaining.

Ill definitely be back next time Im through.