“Disappointing wait and overpriced”

The Marina Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 79 Restaurants in Gisborne
Cuisines: French, European, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Ultimate fine dining in Gisborne- Michelin Style Dining, Bistro style lunches
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
“Disappointing wait and overpriced”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A groups of us dined recently at the Marina in Gisborne. A lovely location and the restaurant is well appointed beside the river. Nice atmospher with linen and good quality cutlery etc. An amusebouche staved off the hunger pangs while we waited more than an hour for th first course to arrive, then another for the mains. As you could imagine we weren't going to wait another hour for dessert, so skipped out without it...saving ourselves another $20 per person.

The entrees for fairly small but quite expensive, the mains were nothing significant either and although I had the signature duck dish, I found it over salted, the skin wasn't crisp and the duck was dried out. Pretty disappointing really, as I know my duck confit coming from the region the the chef is from in France.

My dinner companions had the pork fillet which was basically a chunk of fillet cooked and chopped into a few pieces stnading on its side with a bit of jus drizzle around, again not really worht the money...paying Auckland prices for Gisborne food did not quite do it for me, but obviously the demand is there from the clientel as they were quite busy when we arrived. Still, I think I'll check out something a little less prentious next time to get better kiwi cuisine.

2 Thank kiki_kiwi_11
cpp23, Owner at The Marina Restaurant, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
As the owner of the business I would like to address a few issues regarding your post on the 7th May. We appreciate your feed back and are sorry that you were not satisfied.

The night that you dined there were a total of 58 dinners in the restaurant. Your booking had been for 8 and it increased to 15 mid afternoon on the day in which you dined. Our kitchen processes the orders as they appear in the order that they are presented. Your table was the last order the kitchen received and our chefs did their best to process the dockets as quickly as they could. Unfortunately on such a busy night there is sometimes an unavoidable wait.

With respect to our menu prices we are inline with our major competitors in Gisborne ranging from $15 to $18 for an entree, from $34 to $38.50 for a main course and our desserts range from $13.50 to $15. We use only the finest ingredients and everything is made here at the restaurant. Our prices are in fact quite a lot less expensive than many big city restaurants where entrees start at $21, main courses from $45 to $47 and desserts from $18. Being a remote town, we have to freight in many of our supplies but still we cannot charge big city prices.

I contacted another diner who is a regular customer who had the duck confit on the same night and he had not found the duck to be over salted or dry. The chefs use a sous vide method of cooking for preparing the duck which results in tender succulent meat. Confit uses a salting process to cure the meat and thus is always a slightly salty dish. The pork fillet is portioned at an average of 300g and was complete with vegetables and starch.

We take great pride in what we do at the restaurant, and it is a shame these problems were not addressed on the night. We strive for perfection and appreciate feedback and we do endeavour to have 100% customer satisfaction. I do hope if you are ever in Gisborne again you will give us another chance.

Martinborough, Wellington, New Zealand
“Great service and friendly”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I dined here alone on a business trip. I tried to use Google maps but struggled a bit. I mad it there in the end. Service is fantastic and the beers were great. Chilly-philly starter was a bit sweet. That knocked a star off the otherwise five star rating. I enjoyed my visit here and had the chance to catch up on the local newspaper, which I also recommend. Especially the court section. Very entertaining.

Ill definitely be back next time Im through.

Augusta, Maine
“excellent food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was my second visit to the Marina and the food was just as good as the first visit a year earlier. We were there for lunch during the week. The staff is very friendly and the service is great. The setting is just lovely - on the river/canal and plenty of parking. The food was delicious. My plate was a carbonara pasta and my daughter had the smoked salmon crepes.. we sampled each other's plates and we couldn't decide which one was better! The prix fixe menu is a great value too. If you are in Gisborne and want a cozy restaurant with great food, this is the spot!

• Visited March 2013
Whakatane, New Zealand
“amazing!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great customer service! They are very friendly & welcoming.
The food was so yummy! If I lived in Gizzy I would be there every week! I had the seafood risotto and it was to die for!
The setting of the restaurant was gorgeous! Old building, gorgeous decor and right by the river/canal.
This place is AMAZING! Must eat there when in Gisborne!!

1 Thank kylie w
Gisborne, New Zealand
“Wonderful food and atmosphere”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a lovely restaurant, that fills a niche in Gisborne. It is white table cloths, linen napkins, fine dining. The night we went it was busy, yet we still felt uncrowded. We had a lovely table next to the window. Service was excellent - one person served us all night - yeh! Whilst the menu is quite small, the options are great. Its more traditional French food - nothing too crazy. They catered for the vegetarian very well. Oh and the food..... Delicious. Very nicely presented, and wonderful flavours. The duck I had was butterflied - nice change from crispy duck. Little things like the sorbet between entree and main helps make it a wonderful night. Makes me think of Grove restaurant in Auckland......

• Visited March 2013