“Great Ribs and other food”
Review of Lone Star

Lone Star
Ranked #15 of 86 Restaurants in Gisborne
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had tasty food at this restaurant which overlook the marina. The 9 large spare ribs were great and tasty. The steaks were grilled to perfection. The place to go for great steaks and ribs!!

2  Thank René R

Reviewed December 18, 2013

The Lone Star is a popular restaurant - very busy as were the wait staff. The meal was substantial, designed for big eaters and served on time. The wine is very expensive - more than the cost of the main meal, so don't go there to enjoy a few drinks. The meal was standard 'lone star' fare - lots of potato and meat. The view is nice across the harbour - but just watch out for the duty manager (person who takes the money) - very abrupt and uncompromising on departure - not interested in feedback and rather brush you off once you pay, particularly if not a regular. We disputed one part of the order - but the manager was unfortunately not interested. If you eat here ensure you double check the bill for the number of items ordered. Count them before you pay to avoid arguments from the manger (who demanded to know how many ribs were on the plate!). Her rather rude attitude spoiled the reputation of Lone Star - and otherwise fantastic NZ hospitality.

2  Thank DrHam101
Reviewed November 2, 2013

As an American, I couldn't help laughing at the over-the-top "American" kitschiness of this place. I suppose this is what it must be like for an Australian going to an Outback Steakhouse in the US. Cultural faux pas aside, the menu is un exciting, but solid and the food is quite good. Fresh, well made and the location on the water is nice.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Really good service when we walked into the restaurant and really good service at the bar and table. The staff were friendly and conscientious.and nothing was too much trouble for them.

The food was excellent. I had a seafood chowder which was lovely and hot with ample amount of seafood in it. I then had a lamb shank - the meat was just falling off the bone. My husband and mother has the Johnny Cash stash (stuffed chicken with mushrooms). These were just beautiful, they said. My brother had the Kiwi Joker steak which was cooked perfectly. The portions are large so you need to be hungry when you visit!!

This was a 2nd visit for my husband and myself and we will go again!!! So, well done to the Chef and the staff. Keep up the great work..

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went to Lone Star as it was close to where we were staying a handy location and overlooking boats made for a nice setting. I could imagine in summer sitting outside would be very pleasant.

You know when you dine at a Lone Star the meals are substantial, therefore we refrained from a starter and pleased we did.

We both had the chicken burrito and it was excellent, my only recommendation would be to add more chilly and spice it up a bit, there were some jalapeños on the side which was good.

After that and too many potatoes there was no room for dessert. All in all a pleasant experience.