“There's a Bar Mitzvah in my mouth and everyone's invited - Oy Vey!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jervois Steak House

Jervois Steak House
Ranked #14 of 2,200 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Steakhouse, European, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: “The steakhouse to end all arguments”The Jervois Steakhouse or JSH to its regulars opened in 2006 with a 5 star rating as New Zealand’s first premium steak restaurant and continues to exceed customer expectations. We could, as most web sites do, talk about ourselves in a very complimentary tone, but guess what - we are not the hero, the meat is.So here’s just a tipple of why customers love the Jervois experience:Steaks to die forSimply the bestFood heavenBest steakhouse in AustralasiaHighly recommended, highly anticipated and even more highly appreciated
Melbourne, Australia
“There's a Bar Mitzvah in my mouth and everyone's invited - Oy Vey!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon my second visit to Jervois Steak House I brought along a colleague from work from Australia. That day I had been talking up the meal that was to come, although in hindsight I should have kept quiet to maximize the WOW factor. From the design of the old Victorian building to the quality of the sides, the expansive wine list, the ridiculously high standard of service (massive props to the girl that served us and the English waiter with the chops) and of course the steaks themselves, this place is hands down the best steakhouse I have even visited any where in the world.

There I said it.

My colleague also said it, and from the look on the other patrons faces, I could tell they were thinking it.

I highly recommend the Angus eye fillet with bearnaise and horseradish sauce. Your premium Japanese steel knife will slice through the fillet effortlessly like a samurai sword through butter. For sides I would suggest the mac and cheese fritters and the kumara. For dessert we had the butter scotch pudding and the chocolate fondant. Both incredible.

So for all you Trippers out there reading this and then reading some of the not so glamorous comments underneath, I suggest ignoring them, get in a cab and get down to Jervois for the meal of a life time.

• Visited November 2012
5 Thank Marc P

• Korean first
“Highly recommended, highly anticipated and even more highly appreciated!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

I could not be more complimentary to the entire dining experience at JSH.

It started with a great big welcome followed by delicious cocktails at the bar, ask them to make you something special and you will not be disappointed! We were delighted by a rhubarb, cinnamon, orange mango and gin spectacular.
Moving to our table, our waiter was smiley, friendly, informative and very funny! We had already had a look at the menu online however once our waiter had gone through the specials changes needed to be made, we chose the prawn special and the onion soup for entrees. The generous portions are a meal in themselves and we had to remind ourselves that we had ordered the 1kg Rib Eye steak as our main + side dishes. Both entrees were great. The soup came in a bowl of bread and the prawns were ever so slightly battered it was a delight!
Our steak arrived with a glass of red wine each! A stunningly large steak on the bone, carved at the table and cooked to perfection. Horseradish was the sauce of choice and the meal was finished with gnawing on the bone. We graciously got
offered dessert however due to lack of space we had to decline, but were easily convinced to have another cocktail at the bar.
Overall, yummy cocktails, delicious food and wine, easy romance and a fabulous night out. Will definitely be back again and again! Thank you Jervois for such a special night!

2 Thank Mick_Vegas1
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great service.... and then its average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

A group of friends and I went here for lunch. It was a nice day, we were in good spirits, we had a good time. The service was perfect - very available but not overbearing. They accommodated our every need. Other than that, it was $150pp for nice enough.

The atmosphere was absent. Nice looking cramped little restaurant next to a road. Evening dining might be better as closing all the windows wouldn't matter. The toilets were small and smelly and the bar lacked experience. A good group would lift the buzz but the same could be said for a public beach.

The wine list had had pockets of joy. We enjoyed an 07 Felton Rd Riesling although age would have meant more to the Elston Chardonnay which was a 2010. The reds were largely Australian and certainly nice but I think a New Zealand restaurant selling New Zealand beef should favour New Zealand wine. The wine was overpriced. At 3 times retail per bottle it was at the more expensive end. They had recently replaced all their Riedel crystal with more basic stemware because they broke to many glasses. Paper cups are likely more efficient again but at $60 minimum for a bottle I would suggest some luxury is warranted.

The food was OK. It tasted nice but it was priced as caviar and served as a Sunday BBQ. I have never appreciated the obsession people have with steak houses where you have to build the dish yourself but if the menu is simple it needs to be done perfectly. I ordered the crab as an entree. I have never tried king crab before and enjoyed the experience but it was just a crab leg on a plate with some melted butter on the side. Literally. Entree should excite the taste buds and this dulled the senses. In fairness the chef may have been high for all I know. For a main I had sirloin on the bone. This is again an oddity to me as meat grills better if the thickness is even and bone doesn't allow for that. The piece was too thin at around an inch and it was plonked on an almost warm plate with a swirl of reduction to imply it wasn't Fred Flintstone doing the cooking. I ordered mine rare and it was clear it had come straight from the fridge so that's overcooked on the edge and blue in the middle. I finished with cheese that the neigbourhood kids must be assembling for after school jobs. It was too cold, and the selection of largely rubbish Puhoi cheese for a cool $25 resembled a children's lunchbox.

As with so many of these places, it doesn't match its price point. I don't expect miracles but do expect evidence of sobriety for anything in this price range.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tazmannz
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great steak with a price tag”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

The steak is always great, mouthwatering and tender. The sauces and butters served with the steak are delicious and top it off beautifully. Unfortunately the entreés don't quite meet the expectation associated with the price but the steak and desserts are nonetheless, lovely.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EckoNZ
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Overall Wow! But Average Entrees”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Wow! This place rocks!

Not our usual restaurant outing but we thought we would do something special for our first anniversary and it was definitely worth the price.

The entree was a disappointment to me, how much was on the plate, the taste and then the high price. It could have been better or perhaps I chose the wrong dish. - Would skip next time.

Then comes the main.... By god it was the best steak/meal i've ever eaten. The meat was perfect and delicious. Words can't describe. Plus I added on a couple of extra vege dishes too, hey why not? I had caramalised ginger carrots and mashed potato, plus my dish came with a side brocolli. Wow wow! Never tasted veges so good.

We were so full after our meal but wanted to make the most of it. So we ordered a dessert to share.. It was outstanding. A chocolate pudding, I can't remember what it was but it was amazing.

Alcohol is expensive but that is the same everywhere.

The service was outstanding. We loved our English waiter, an older man. He was delightful.

This place is outstanding. Will definitely return... (when we can afford it! He he)

• Visited April 2012