“Could do worse than stay here, but...”

Best Western Newmarket Inn & Suites
Ranked #18 of 114 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“Could do worse than stay here, but...”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We visited Auckland for a few days for a friend's 70th birthday and wanted to stay near his house. There are quite a few motels on Great South Road to choose from. After booking I was warned we would hear a lot of noise from the motorway and trains but it wasn't too bad. The rooms are a bit dated and beige is the colour theme, but they were mostly clean. We had a spa room, but when I turned on the spa the residual water in the pipes was rank and horrible, so I didn't try it again. The bathroom had a lot of long black hairs in it, these appeared after cleaning too so I'm not sure whether they were from past guests or cleaning staff. The room was only cleaned twice in four days because we came back to the room before it was cleaned. I think it would be better for the hotel to clean the rooms all in the morning and not leave tham until late in the afternoon. The laundry facilities were very good. It's close to the city and there are buses and trains, although we had a car. Overall I would come back here but I think the rooms could do with some refurbishment and updating, and the cleaning be a bit more organised.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
GSRM, Manager at Best Western Newmarket Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for letting us know you would come back and stay with us and for your comments on the décor.

There is no excuse for the hairs in your bathroom, and we apologise. We have hired extra cleaning staff to ensure we finish cleaning earlier and our cleaners are also undergoing additional cleaning training with a new senior staff member. In the last month we have just been independently assessed by the Best Western Quality Assessor and Qualmark assess the property annually as well – we hope these two independent agencies will ensure that any guest staying with us in future encounters a clean, quality environment.

Many thanks,
George
Acting Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed two nights 12th & 13th August - staff very helpful. Bed comfortable and room clean. Located on bus route. Road noise was minimal and no real disturbance.

Cons - walls on both sides not really sound proof... snorning from adjacent room kept me awake on the first night.

Room Tip: Book room without interconnecting door to adjoining room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We spent three nights here, and it was very pleasant. The room was comfortable, the internet worked well, the people were very friendly. The coin laundry facilities are inexpensive and convenient. The kitchen was adequately equipped, and everything worked well.

www.riderbymyside.com

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I enjoyed my stay - it was quiet, I was away from the main block of rooms down near the restaurant and I really liked my room. The layout was good, most things were there that I needed, or the staff were responsive to providing anything else that wasn't automatically there.

The only problem I had was that the staff didn't seem to automatically clean the bathroom during my stay - only if I asked. They did replenish towels though, but I am used to most motel bathrooms being at least superficially cleaned daily.

The staff were really nice and nothing was a problem for them. Parking was good, it's so close to Newmarket and it's a lovely neighbourhood. Pretty easy to get to a variety of useful places in Auckland from here - do go up the road to the Parnell La Cigale markets if you stay! :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
GSRM, Manager at Best Western Newmarket Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post the review of your stay on TripAdvisor. We're very glad that the motel has not dispapointed you, and we also admit that some of our cleaning staff need further reminder to carry out their job truly well!

We look forward to seeing you again in the future, and wish you a pleasant trip whereever you are in the world!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is my third visit and the staff and Laurence are brilliant - nothing is a problem, they are all ways helpful, and ready to please. The location for me is perfect as I know Auckland and have a car - try the new De Grand Thai restruant within waling distance - best Thai meal I have had in a while.
Bed is comfortable, big TV, clean - all you need for a good nights sleep!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Good Day!

Thank you so much for the review that you've written on TripAdvisor. We are humbled by your kind words, and all the staff here are looking forward to seeing you again when your next trip takes you back to Auckland!

Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Great location within walking distance to shops and transport. Also easy access to Newmarket and central Auckland. Room was well appointed wih fabulously comfy bed. Spacious, roomy and very clean and tidy (with air-conditioning, an absolute must for steamy days). Plenty of off-street parking. Laundry facilities, very good. Very quiet complex with a restaurant attached, Manager Mr. Laurence Lee couldn't do enough for you. Restaurant excellent, meals very appetizing & affordable "complements to the chef".
I travel to Auckland frequently and will be making this motel my base for future visits.
To management and staff...Keep doing what you're doing, the service is excellent.
Frances (Ballarat, Victoria)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Hi Frances,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and also taking time to write your review on TripAdvisor. All of us are thrilled with the compliments that you have showered on us, and we'll continue to do the right thing for everyone that comes to stay at the Motor Lodge!

We look forward to seeing you again whenever you're in Auckland!

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I can't speak hughly enough about Laurence and his lovely staff.............. I would go out of my way to stay in this Motor Lodge again. We were are large group of netball players and had to move out of a dity motel and found ourselves with Laurence. The units were lovely, clean and very welcoming. The staff was engaging and friendly they couldn't do enough for us even thou we had just turned there Motor Lodge upside down. It is very rare to recieve such proffessional customer service.

Well done Laurence & your staff